[AISPC] Slides submission for review

Ashil Oogarah ashil at afrinic.net
Tue Apr 29 09:41:24 SAST 2014

HI Seun,

Title of Presentation: Enabling Education for all through Technology and Media

Presentation Summary

Fundamental policy of the government of Kenya is to provide quality basic education to all its citizens both as a basic human right in a democratic society and as a means of achieving socio-economic development goals. This commitment by the government to provide education for all is based in the understanding that a well trained human resource is a prerequisite for not only economic growth but also social and individual progress.

Achieving education for all is hinged in the ability to universalize primary education for school age children as well as education provisions for the youth and older populations. Given that formal education delivery channels are unable to reach all school age going children, educationists and policy makers have since the 1970s argued for an alternative delivery channels to complement mainstream efforts. It is in an effort to address the needs of out of school children and youth that a number of education and training programs have been initiated. These educational activities became more pronounced in the 1970s. Given that they emerged outside the formal school system, they came to be referred to as Non- Formal Education (NFE) activities.
The bulk of these NFE activities were run by NGOs, religious organizations, communities, philanthropic agencies and individuals. These various providers were instrumental in initiating low cost schools and Adult continuing education centers.

These schools are mainly in the city slums and other marginalized communities.
Network for Non Formal Educational Institutions (N-NFEI) is one Organization that has been established to facilitate mechanism through which stakeholders can advocate and ensure quality education by children from poor background and city slums through Non-Formal Education Centers and Schools. It is in this endeavor that N-NFE is facilitating utilization of technology as a delivery method that will promote access and improve quality of education provided to all learners in the country.

The program stated in 2011 by using video conferencing and reaching out to two centers one at Korogocho and the other at Kayole. The program was done in the night starting from 9.00pm-5.00 am. Upon visiting the program the former PS Bitange Ndemo offered us a community TV called Elimu TV

Since then we have been developing content for the channel and we have accumulated content for Mathematics, Physics, Biology and Kiswahili on Videos.

Ashil