[AISPC] Re: Africa Internet Summit 2013

Adiel Akplogan adiel at afrinic.net
Wed Feb 13 15:59:30 SAST 2013

To get everyone on the same page, I though I should share a document
about AIS I wrote and share in 2010. Don't look the planing side but
the overall idea.

To setup this group we have asked AFNOG to nominate people that can
contribute to the PC mainly because time is against us to do a proper
call for volunteers to serve on the PC. I believe that using the
experience of this year we can better plan for the next event.

However for the content, as I mentioned in one of my first mail we
should define key areas we want to see covered and then use that as
guideline for a call for proposal. Quiet frankly the idea is not
to over-politicise the event, but rather focus on the business aspect
and expend the scope of the regional ecosystem. That is where the
overall idea of the theme ** Making the Internet work for African
development ** comes from.

Doc has made some very good sugestions for keynote speakers. Which
kind of topic do we want someone like TBL and the Web Foundation to
address during the event?

What are the topics that this group will like to see addressed during
such event in addition to the usual technical stuff? Beside the pure
packet switching issue (technical capacity), what are the other
challenge and issue that we Technical community from Africa think
are important to address in order to make the Internet and even more
powerful tool for development? I guess that is what George was trying
to do in his original mail trowing some ideas for consideration.

Few more ideas that usually crossing my mind:

- Why is the content Industry not growing as fast as it should in
  Africa.
- Why are the current investments all going into cable and all and
  very limited into innovation and content?
- How are Mobile Operators seeing the shift in their business model
  to accommodating Data? And how is that impacting pure players like
  ISPs?
- What do they (Mobile Ops) need form the Internet technical community?
- What is the link between Good Governance Index and Internet
  Development if any?
- Role of the High Education and (REN) in Internet Development.
- Why is the Internet Industry in Africa so weak to the extend that
  people tend to always look at politicians for solution in the
  region.
- Which winning Business Model for the Success of Operators in Africa
- Why politicians from developing Region do not generally believe in
  the I governance model? Can we technical community do something
  that we are not yet doing to change that?
- What does smart peering decision means for Affordable access that
  politician have been talking about for the past decades?
- etc ...

If WE technical people do not participate and contribute to the
debate around issues like the above … they will happen elsewhere …
with limited (if not none) practical contribution … guess who
will suffer must? WE and the future generation.

Let allow ourselves to think far ahead.

- a.