[AfrIPv6-Discuss] Understanding (IPv6 in) Africa

Nico Schottelius nico.schottelius at ungleich.ch
Tue Mar 12 14:47:58 UTC 2019

Hello everyone,

after reading the last thread about content providers and what is the
cost for small companies, I was wondering how IT business is driven in
Africa.

I am asking because when we had the Mozilla/TLS blog article [0], we got
very different feedback from Europe vs US. What I see in Europe and even
more in Switzerland is that small companies drive
innovation. Enterprises are usually to sluggish to drive forward.

This means that IPv6 adoption is pushed by SME and eventually executed
by telcos. My impression from the US was that IPv6 adoption is driven by
enterprises and users follow.

So to come back to my original question, I am wondering how innovation
in general and in particular with IPv6 is driven in Africa? Is Afrinic
the main driver or is it more (small?) businesses moving forward?

Curious greetings from Switzerland,

Nico

[0] https://ungleich.ch/en-us/cms/blog/2018/08/04/mozillas-new-dns-resolution-is-dangerous/

--