[AfrIPv6-Discuss] Finding solutions to things that stop people moving to IPv6

Lee Howard lee.howard at retevia.net
Thu Dec 6 19:25:52 UTC 2018

On 12/6/18 1:47 PM, Noureddine IDBOUFKER via AfrIPv6-Discuss wrote:
> Sure there are many opportunities behind Transition to IPv6 but
> unfortunately, for African Operators in each country, there is also a
> risk. Every day elapsed before this transition moves them towards a
> very risky situation. I talk about Business and also technical risks.
> Unfortunately, the majority of operators has an urgency mindset.
>  I am really convinced that in order to encourage them to transit to
> IPv6, African Communities has to focus on risks and the urgency aspect
> of the transition. For example leading studies in order to produce a
> kind of SWOT Matrix, adapted to the African context, establishing
> Strengths, Weaknesses, Threats and Opportunities.

Yes, I see your point.

I wonder, how urgent does IPv4 runout have to be for the urgency to be a
major risk?

(Short version: if you haven't started IPv6 already, you will not be
able to add new users by mid-2020).

Using http://www.potaroo.net/tools/ipv4/index.html I think we will reach
Exhaustion Phase 2 in 6-8 months. Let's say July 2019. That means that
everyone who has received IPv4 addresses since this past July has
received their last Phase 1 allocation.

Under current policy as I understand it, starting next July, networks
will only get up to a /22 per application (or less, if a /23 or /24 will
last them 8 months). If they use that /22, they can get another, and
another, but whoever does the IP management work will be busy submitting
applications.

The Phase 2 policy might slow down consumption a little bit. Say the
last /11 will run out a year later, in June 2020.

As I see it, every wireline ISP in Africa that is not already using IPv6
will turn on their last new customer in 18 months. It is too late to
avoid this: it will take at least two years to adopt IPv6. The only
options they will have left are CGN or buying addresses; those will add
conservatively US$10-40 cost per user.

Mobile networks may be able to last a few months longer, depending on
their rate of growth and the ratio of users to IPv4 addresses.

The network with a two-year plan will be the only network left in two years.

Please, convince me I'm wrong.

Lee