[AfrIPv6-Discuss] rate-limiting-of-ipv6-traceroutes-is-widespread

Daniel Shaw daniel at afrinic.net
Wed Aug 16 13:08:37 UTC 2017

On 16/08/2017, 16:30, Lee Howard	typed:

> Yes, this is very interesting.

I'm glad everyone that's commented to far also found it interesting. I certainly did!

It's not my work though, and I wished I'd caught the presentation at IETF 99. I picked up the link to day in a Slack group.

>> https://datatracker.ietf.org/meeting/99/materials/slides-99-maprg-rate-lim
>> iting-of-ipv6-traceroutes-is-widespread-measurements-and-mitigations
>

> This isn’t just a traceroute problem, but an ICMPv6 problem, right?

I had the same thought, yes. Very good question. I may try to get in touch with the authors. If I get around to that I'll certainly share more on this list.

I did do a little digging and found the video of the original presentation. It's here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qYtaKuzXaiM , starting from 37:10 approximately.

I'm still watching it now, so can't say if it makes anything clearer yet though.

- Daniel