[AfrIPv6-Discuss] [Ietf_africa] SAVE THE DATE: Hackathon @AIS - May 27th to May 28th 2017 (Loganaden Velvindron)

Loganaden Velvindron logan at afrinic.net
Thu May 4 06:27:11 UTC 2017

On 5/3/17 4:07 PM, Punana Lebo wrote:
> Good day
>
> Is there any arrangement to do the hackathon remotely? Most of us are
> interested but will not be able to make it to Kenya

[Speaking for myself]

It is possible to do it remotely. My aim is that this this will
encourage people to do more hackathons within their own area, during a
weekend. You need to prepare your development environment properly. In
the case of IPv6, it would help if you can use an IPv6 tunnel to test
the changes you're making. If your ISP gives you IPv6 natively, all the
better!

You will need to download either NetBSD, FreeBSD or DragonflyBSD on a VM
in bridged mode. We recommend you use a snapshot instead of a release as
you want to hack on a development version of their tree.

e.g FreeBSD provides vmdk files:
https://download.freebsd.org/ftp/snapshots/VM-IMAGES/12.0-CURRENT/amd64/20170420/

On the coding side, Knowing basics of C is required:
http://www.learn-c.org/ & knowing the KAME stack will really help you.
There is a book: IPv6 core protocols implementation. I will be remotely
helping during the entire hackathon.

Feel free to ask me any questions.