[AfrIPv6-Discuss] Help Get Microsoft to Implement RFC 6106 for Windows

Mukom Akong T. mukom.tamon at gmail.com
Mon Jun 20 17:59:19 UTC 2016

Most of the complaints about deploying IPv6 to users have been around
needing to do both SLAAC and DHCPv6 in a normal network. Reasons being

- Microsoft has refused to implement RFC 6106 (the ability to provision DNS
information using RAs) in its Operating Systems

- Google has refused to implement DHCPv6 client in Android

There's an team within Microsoft that is willing to drive implementation of
RFC 6106 but they need our help so signal the demand.

If you are a Microsoft client, please contact your representation and ask
them that  Microsoft OS's inability to support RFC 6106 is hindering your
deployment project. You can use this template message

******************
Dear <Microsoft_Rep>

We've been facing a major problem with our IPv6 deployment because
Microsoft's Operating Systems that we use currently do not support the
ability to receive DNS configuration information for IPv6 through Router
Advertisements.

Could you please inform about Microsoft's timeline for implementing this?

Thank you

If you do that, they will put that information in an internal tool and our
inside team can make a case for it being put on the road map for
implementation.

Please spread the word.

P/S No ... no such luck with Google and Android ... for now.