[AfrIPv6-Discuss] AfrIPv6-Discuss ISC-DHCPv6

Nishal Goburdhan nishal at controlfreak.co.za
Mon Jun 13 15:17:21 UTC 2016

On 13 Jun 2016, at 15:29, Stephen Honlue wrote:

> Hi Dick,
>
> The DHCP configuration looks ok.
> You should:
>
> - Make sure you have two interfaces(You can use sub-interfaces) of
> your
> server belonging each to the appropriate Vlan.
> - Make sure each interface(sub-interface) should have an IP address
> withing the correct subnet(DHCP will only give IPs out of an interface
> that has an IP withing a defined subnet).

is this really true?  i haven’t used ISC’s dhcpd in a few years, but
the above two are (or, were) not requirements for dhcpd for ipv4, since
you could easily configure a relay-agent.  it would seem odd to me that
these are now requirements for v6, and a quick read through seems to
indicate that there is indeed dhcp relay support (in which case your
dhcp server does not need to be directly connected to each network), as
long as the dhcpd server config, has the necessary stanzas for each
network.

> - Make sure your hosts seat in the appropriate vlan so that they can
> send DHCP requests to the right interface.d
>
> Can you please share the physical topology with us?

that could be useful;  debug messages from the server would also be
useful too.

i’d suggest checking that your native/untagged vlan on the switch
matches what you expect to send;  while setting up for the recent AIS
event, we ran into a similar situation, and tracked it down to config on
an unfamiliar switch  :-)

—n.