[AfrIPv6-Discuss] NAT64 for Dual Stacking!

Daniel Shaw daniel at afrinic.net
Tue May 17 08:04:29 UTC 2016

On Tue, May 17, 2016 at 09:18:01AM +0200, Mark Tinka wrote:

> On 13/May/16 08:14, Daniel Shaw wrote:
>

> > However, NAT64 does not have to be done on a new expensive cisco box.
> > You can implement that on a linux based gateway on a PC or VM too.
>
> How does that perform at scale, i.e., several Gbps or 10's of Gbps?

It doesn't. :-)

But as a PoC / test lab it's just fine. Once the concepts are understood
and the OP knows if NAT64, SIIT, etc are what he or she needs, and how
that fits into the network, then it's time to go shopping for the device
that can duplicate the functionality at scale.

The original query (as I read it) was:
- How to I get an ipv6-only and an ipv4-only network talking to one
  another (i.e. not dual stack everywhere).
- This is a small scale test phase.

For what it's worth I have no doubt you could put in a linux box on
server class hardware with 10 Gbps interface cards that *could* just
*route* at that scale actually. But, for the OP, I am not aware of any
NAT64 implementation on Linux where the software would scale along with
the i/o hardware and base kernel routing. So indeed, in a full
production scenario, you'd need to do some shopping :)

- Daniel