[AfrIPv6-Discuss] IPv6 DHCP Server

Mukom Akong T. tamon at afrinic.net
Mon Mar 14 10:57:34 UTC 2016

> On 14 Mar 2016, at 2:12 PM, DICK, L. (MR.) <Dickl at mopipi.ub.bw> wrote:
>
> I have configured isc-dhcp-server6  for IPv6 Network. It seems my windows
> dhcp clients are not getting default gateway and cannot ping or see any
> host in the same network. But when I assign the gateway statically it
> works. Please assist me. Thank you

i’m going to assume that you have:

- both clients and the server on different subnets/VLANs (this should be obvious)
- a router acting as DHCPv6 relay agent

DHCPv6 CANNOT give a default gateway to clients, that can only be done using Router Advertisements (RA).
RA can only be configured on the router attached to the client’s subnet (look at the NDP RA command line structure on whatever OS you are using).
Most implementations I’ve seen will make the current router interface a candidate for default gateway unless you configured the "lifetime" to 0

Another thing you might want to verify/confirm:  your windows clients now have /128 addresses. that has implications for on-subnet reachability.

hope that helps

./shalom