[AfrIPv6-Discuss] IPv6 adoption per country

Loganaden Velvindron loganaden at gmail.com
Sat Jan 30 13:58:26 UTC 2016

On Sat, Jan 23, 2016 at 9:42 AM, SM <sm at resistor.net> wrote:

> Hi John,
> At 23:14 22-01-2016, John Hay wrote:
>
>> AfriNIC's available IPv4 address pool or the available IPv4 address space
>> in Africa is just a small part of the picture. Few people want to talk to
>> themselves. That is pretty boring. Once organisations in the rest of the
>> world can only get IPv6 address space and your clients or students want to
>> communicate with them over the internet, browse their web sites, or
>> whatever, and then cannot... What are you going to tell your clients or
>> students? Sorry they use IPv6 addresses, but don't worry we have enough
>> IPv4 addresses, we will not run out? I doubt if they will be happy with
>> such an answer.
>>

> The few persons I have talked to find the picture overwhelming or
> unconvincing.  I had to explain to a government official that the internet
> is not Facebook.  I'll copy this message to Logan as he can confirm whether
> it is true or not.  I'll remind a few of my clients of the advice I have
> given previously if they ask me about IPv6-related problems.  A few
> reporters might call me for an analysis or to verify the information they
> have been given.

For transparency reasons, I should disclose that I'm part of the ICT
Advisory Council:
http://mtci.govmu.org/English/Dept-Bodies/Pages/ICTAdvisoryCouncil.aspx

There is a strong perception in Mauritius that the Internet is facebook.
Those topics come up all the time (sadly). The hardest part is explaining
to people that we need an Internet where not only facebook is working fast.
Explaining to the Ministry that building a reliable, fast & secure internet
for any web application is a challenge in itself.

I'll give a concrete example: People are complaining that twitter is slow
even on a 10Mbit/s is "slow". I had a hard time to get the local ISPs to
finally admit that the latency in Mauritius to twitter was too high. >
400ms. Hence the perception of "slow" twitter from the customer's end.

After I explained to the local ISPs about the latency issues, they "fixed"
the latency problem so that local gamers could get decent gaming experience
in DOTA/DOTA2.

ping sgp-1.valve.net
PING sgp-1.valve.net (103.28.54.2) 56(84) bytes of data.
64 bytes from fw0.sgp.valve.net (103.28.54.2): icmp_seq=1 ttl=51 time=132 ms
64 bytes from fw0.sgp.valve.net (103.28.54.2): icmp_seq=2 ttl=51 time=133 ms
64 bytes from fw0.sgp.valve.net (103.28.54.2): icmp_seq=3 ttl=51 time=154 ms

> I agree that a few people talking to themselves is pretty boring.  It is a
> huge effort to discuss about that and it is currently not in my interest to
> put in that effort.

That's a full-time job. You need to literally repeat yourself over 9000
times for the govt and local ISPs to "get it" for IPv6. There's an ISP in
Mauritius which is marketting itself as IPv6-ready but is not giving any
IPv6 connectivity to their customers...