[AfrIPv6-Discuss] [Fwd: [arin-announce] Seeking IPv6 Trainers and Consultants]

Daniel Shaw daniel at afrinic.net
Tue Jan 26 09:57:59 UTC 2016

> On Jan 26, 2016, at 11:05 AM, Mukom Akong T. <mukom.tamon at gmail.com> wrote:
>
> Here's who this could work with a community driven platform
>
> a) Create the platform (e.g. wiki) --- I'm sure AFRINIC won't mind putting hosting one
> b) Various experts & consultants contribute content - how tos, deployment experiences, case studies etc (thereby building reputation and credibility)
> c) Have a page on that platform for "Consultants/trainers directory”

Basically agreeing with Mukom here. I believe hosting a Wiki specific to IPv6 discussion and collaboration within our region would not be an issue. But..

… also concur that this would not and could not include any kind of endorsed or “certified” data/info.

It’d simply be a platform for *community* contribution.

If I read Mark’s original request, that is actually in line with what he is proposing: That we more or less mirror what ARIN have done for their region.

Browsing the ARIN IPv6 Wiki, it has an acceptable use policy, requires registration and explicitly makes it clear that all contributions are community ones. From my understanding, this is what Mukom (and I) are also agreeing on.

So, if this was to work, it would need to a) have some posting/contributing guidelines and rules that are clearly published. And b) some community folks to maintain the policies, and moderate the site too.

I don’t see either of these things being the responsibility of AFRINIC staff. It’s more in line with building a community and an open and bottom up processes for the regional IPv6 community (i.e. this list) to come up with both a) and b) above.

I would propose a process something like the following (with room for some discussion on the list of course).

The process could be quite different from the below in the end. This is just my own initial brain-dump. Warning: It’s long.

1. This list reaches a rough consensus that this is actually a useful thing that would be updated, maintained and used. That is it’s actually worth pursuing further. This mailing list as 520 email addresses subscribed, and we’ve only heard support for this from Mark and Sami.

2. Should there be enough interest, this list/community would then agree on a number of admins/moderators for this future site. To allow for a moderator/admin to be sick, go on leave, have work responsibilities and/or a life, this would need to be two or greater. I’d personally suggest at least three, but no more than 4 or 5. Both the number, and the candidates would be up to the list though.
Possibly, likely candidates could be nominated on the list, and if they have some support and no negative votes after a given time period, and they agree to it, then they’re it!

3. Should we (the list) get to the point where there are sufficient moderators nominated *and* that have agreed to take on the responsibility of looking after a wiki, then that group could get in touch with myself off-list, and I would be happy to facilitate AFRINIC hosting a VM running a Wiki.
AFRINIC would provide the a VM, the IP addresses (v4 + v6), the DNS name, etc. AFRINIC would install the needed software, and then add the community agreed group of admins with full privileges within this Wiki application.
At this point AFRINIC would completely step away from managing the actual content in any way. AFRINIC would only maintain basic monitoring of the VM, keep it up and running and co-ordinate with the Wiki admins to schedule OS patches.
It would also be up to the moderator group to decide on the exact Wiki software to install, in consultation with AFRINIC technical staff.

4. Once the blank Wiki was available, initially only the admin/moderator group would have access, and before any other content was added, they’d be responsible for drafting Acceptable Use Policy, Privacy Policy, Contribution guidelines, perhaps document the process to nominate and decide on future moderators, rules around registration etc. (for example, I’d suggest it mandatory for folks who’d want to contribute to register with real, full names).
Each of these pages/policies need not be too long. The ARIN wiki is a good example.
All of these could be edited on the live Wiki I think, provided they're clearly marked as drafts.

5. Once the policies and rules are in place, and the list has had a chance to read and agree on them; then before being taken out of draft status, we’d have senior AFRINIC staff and/or AFRINIC publicity staff look over the proposed policies and make sure there’s nothing that puts AFRINIC as an organisation at any risk. I don’t expect that to be an issue, but having this vetted would likely be a required part of hosting it within the afrinic.net domain.
I’d also think that part of these pages would document that the community chose moderators would remain responsible for keeping the Wiki clean of spam, any insulting comments or trolling and so on. And I’d probably ask that there be something added that says something along the line of "should the Wiki become unmaintained, very out of date, full of spam, etc., that AFRINIC would reserve the right to shut it down."

6. At this point all the rules and guidelines would have been agreed on by the community *and* AFRINIC staff. And thus would be taken out of draft status, and the Wiki opened for registration and contributions.
It would be up to the moderator/admin group to guide the structure of the Wiki and manage the sort of content allowed.

In summary, on a technical level at least, I’d answer Mark that AFRINIC would be willing to provide a Wiki platform to the African IPv6 community. Provided that this community takes on the responsibility to moderate and maintain it, including a well structures and documented process.

The key to this would be in the wording of an AuP that is clear as far as there being no implicit endorsement, etc.

And as I’ve just thrown this idea to the list without consulting any colleagues, as above, at some point it’d need to be looked over and given the green light by other folks within AFRINIC.

Discuss…

Regards,
Daniel