[AfrIPv6-Discuss] Let's start by use your «not so spare» IPv4 pool

Willy Ted MANGA willy.manga at auf.org
Fri Jan 15 16:42:51 UTC 2016

Hi,
I do not know for other area but here in Cameroon and especially in
public universities they have a big pool of IPv4 unused .

A little story ...

University of Ngaoundere got a /22 from ministry of higher education
but they use less than ten (10) maybe 5 IP address  (less than 1% of
their pool) :-\ .

Some weeks ago I talk with their network administrator on that matter.

How will they see the importance to give an IPv6 address (global
unicast) to all user when even with IPv4 most of their resources go to
the internet with only 1 IP address ?!?.
They should not have IP address in spare, that's AFRINIC's matter.
Their ip adresses should be assigned to their users.
With this pool I suggest him to create a lease with their public IPv4
address . The most important is to set correctly your firewall rules;
that's all.

He promises to update his configuration .. Just wait and see .

End of little story .

- ----------

Some end-user do not see the necessity of IPv6 address because of this
habit. They have a big IPv4 pool; so why bother using IPv6 ?. That's
something we should erase from our mind and evend mind's neighbor,
partner...
I remember this statement on «IPv4 allocation policy» : «End-users are
not permitted to reserve address space based on long term plans » ...
Members should follow the guidelines they choose themselves.

1. http://afrinic.net/fr/library/policies/126-afpub-2005-v4-001

- --
MANGA Willy Ted — Responsable technique régional
Afrique centrale et des grands lacs
Agence Universitaire de la Francophonie (AUF) | www.auf.org

Tél.Bureau:+237-222-23-97-45