[afripv6-discuss] IPv6 netmask on multi-access network segments

Nishal Goburdhan ndg at ieee.org
Mon Feb 10 13:12:41 SAST 2014

On 09 Feb 2014, at 12:21 PM, Philip Smith <pfsinoz at gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi Warwick,
>
> Was there anything wrong with /127 for ptp links as recommended in
> http://www.rfc-editor.org/rfc/rfc6164.txt - most recent deployments I've
> seen use this (reserving the /64 for the subnet, but addressing it as a
> /127).

about the only time that i saw this not working was with some mikrotik gear (which is in common use here).
this was during a class we were teaching in CPT;  i forget the actual version of RouterOS.
/126 worked ok.  and the operator, seemed happier with that (presumably it made sense looking at it from the "IPv4 mindset"

perhaps, someone with some RouterOS clue can suggest to the list, a stable+working version of RouterOS that supports this ?

my ISP at home uses /126 - manually configured, but i'm told their IPv6 solution isn't commercial yet.
i know that their parent_co uses this in the northern hemisphere, so i'm guessing it was a simple decision ... ;-)

--n.