[afripv6-discuss] afripv6-discuss Digest, Vol 76, Issue 12

Nishal Goburdhan ndg at ieee.org
Thu Feb 21 12:33:33 SAST 2013

On 01 Dec 2012, at 8:03 AM, Imadeldeen Ellazim Gmma Hamid <emadedeen at sudatel.sd> wrote:

> Thanks Nisha
> Good morning
>    I am worry by taking our problem in IPV4 when totally migrate to IPV6 , the ISP suffered from blacklist now in IPV4 , after the migrate to IPV6 complete do blacklist will be uniquely or it will be like what they did now a range of IPV4?

hi,

usually, someone is blacklisted, or listed at a RBL, for ignoring complaints that were raised against their network.
more often that not, this is because the operator in question didn't have an adequately enabled support/abuse mechanism to deal with the problem, ignored it until some later stage, and by then it was too late.  for a lot of providers, that would be strike one.
strike two would come when similar reports were made against users from the same network operator - and these go again unanswered.
strike three is usually when blacklists and RBLs get a lot more aggressive - because they've seen no action from the operator -  and start listing (rightfully or not) groups of address space (perhaps an IPv4 /24) using what they often call "IP reputation".

that is not a flaw in IPv4.  or IPv6.
it's an operational fault that the operator has made by not adequately responding to complaints about users on his network.
(if you're not sure what aliases you should have in place, see rfc2142)

today, most blacklists are IPv4 based.
that is not to say that there won't be future blacklists based on IPv6.
and - as you asked - these lists based on IPv6 are most definitely not going to be based on single hosts - there's just too much address space for that to be effective.

so, the only *real* way to stay off these, is to make sure you keep your network clean, by reacting to these as appropriate.

--n.