[afripv6-discuss] What have you done for IPv6 lately, since the 1st of January, 2013?

SM sm at resistor.net
Wed Feb 20 18:38:58 SAST 2013

Hi Guy,
At 03:18 20-02-2013, Guy Antony Halse wrote:
>This will depend on what you look at.  For instance, in our case:
>
>  guy at walrus:~$ host www.ru.ac.za
>  www.ru.ac.za is an alias for www-real.ru.ac.za.
>  www-real.ru.ac.za has address 146.231.129.7
>
>we still have a v4-only web server.

I usually follow the CNAME chain.

>In our case our primary web service was the last thing we intended
>to migrate.
>We still haven't got there because, with 70,000+ pages maintained by 50+
>departments, it is very difficult to understand all the assumptions about
>address space that might have been made.

Yes.

>We tried turning on v6 for our web server on World IPv6 Launch Day last year;
>it went badly.  We'll get there, hopefully during the course of this year.

Is there any publicly available information on what went badly?

>The point I'm trying to make is that whilst web services are the
>most visible,
>they're not necessarily the most reliable way to determine IPv6 strategy.

Yes.

Web services are used to get a measure of what is actually happening
as it's publicly available information.  MWeb is announcing a /26
IPv6 prefix.  The folks I am acquainted with will look at the following:

;; flags: qr rd ra; QUERY: 1, ANSWER: 0, AUTHORITY: 1, ADDITIONAL: 0

;; QUESTION SECTION:
;www.mweb.co.za.                        IN      AAAA

Last year  Pierre Van Vuuren mentioned that:

   "My gut tells me IS (Internet Solutions) and MWEB will have some
    IPv6 hosts."

;; QUESTION SECTION:
;www.is.co.za.                  IN      AAAA

;; ANSWER SECTION: