[afripv6-discuss] What have you done for IPv6 lately, since the 1st of January, 2013?

Hisham Ibrahim hisham at afrinic.net
Wed Feb 20 16:55:25 SAST 2013

On Feb 19, 2013, at 5:30 PM, Andrew Alston wrote:

>   But are we
> open and honest and transparent enough about the challenges?  Keep in mind,
> if we're to convince people to go v6, we have to give them a feeling of
> security in their decisions, and I truly believe that if people feel they
> are only being shown one aspect of it (the positive), and the negatives
> aren't being addressed adequately, this will NOT create that sense of
> security in them.

I can speak for other v6 promotors in the region, but we have always pointed out the major issues

and obstacles that face operators in their operations, what comes to mind as I type now is the issue of management tools

being able to do for v6 what it does for v4, I personally used to make a point of looking and asking what tools operators use

and looking up the level of v6 support on it, and providing a list of tools that I have used or know do v6.

Security is an other part, however I must confess, it is not my strong suit, but I know Tamon does a IPv6 security module as well as 6deploy.

> People need a holistic picture and need to understand all
> they are getting into when they go down this road, so that they know when
> issues DO appear, they have places to go to get them addressed, and that
> they aren't the only ones thinking about these things.

:) I think that is what we are going for with this thread

We also try to bring them up during the technical Webinars.

> We as the community need to start talking positives and negatives, start
> talking about the security risks and how to address them in v6 land and not
> pretend they don't exist , start talking openly and honestly about the
> technologies that are missing that people are going to discover as they walk
> the v6 path, only then can the ISP's start putting pressure on vendors and
> others to actually create the necessary tech.

Can you put something together on this, based on your experience and present it during the next AFrica Internet Summit?

Apart it being the NOG meeting (so many really smart techies running around), we will also have the AFRICERT experts that may be able to address some of the issues

and maybe come up with action plans out of it

Regards
Hisham