[afripv6-discuss] What are the benefits of IPv6 over IPv4

Hisham Ibrahim hisham at afrinic.net
Mon Jun 4 18:29:38 SAST 2012

On Jun 4, 2012, at 6:08 PM, SM wrote:

> Hi Hisham,
> At 06:15 04-06-2012, Hisham Ibrahim wrote:
>> http://v6asns.ripe.net/v/6?s=_RIR_AfriNIC, @ SM feel free to see country by country, including MU on the level of IPv6 uptake
>
> Announcing the IPv6 is a step forward.  Adoption is a step after that.
Agreed
Step one get your space (numbers there have gone up)
Step two announce (again numbers their have gone up)
Step three to ten role out (this is where must ISPs in the region are currently at)

>> so what is left pushing it out to customers, well again what you do on your network is your prerogative, and no one can tell you what you should or should not do, however for
>
> Is there any publication about the problems encountered and how they were addressed?
Though there is nothing published on the reasons African Service providers are not adopting IPv6 but from what I have seen and experienced is that its mainly "fear of the unknown".
People expecting IPv6 to solve issues IP has nothing to do with.
Or the confusion on the best transition mechanism
Or .... the list goes on but has very little to do with IPv6 as an addressing protocol

>> For world IPv6 launch that is taking place in 2 days
>> 0 African operators have signed on
>
> Is that zero?
ZERO
Hisham