[afripv6-discuss] What are the benefits of IPv6 over IPv4

Graham Beneke graham at apolix.co.za
Mon Jun 4 10:17:43 SAST 2012

On 04/06/2012 09:21, Mark Tinka wrote:
> On Monday, June 04, 2012 07:38:06 AM Frank Habicht wrote:
>
>> I don't yet feel like thinking about v6-only.
>> Too much to be done for dual-stack adoption.
>
> While an IPv6-only network is not attractive to most, we'd
> do well to consider running something close to that in the
> future.

Its actually surprisingly easy to achieve IPv6-only on the eyeballs side
of the network. The mobile operators are the ones that have been pushing
this since many of their networks and devices support single-stack IPv6
much better than they support dual stack.

Most of our HTTP traffic comes from a very small number of sites and
within the next 3 days the majority of them will be reachable on IPv6.
Enabling IPv6 on local services like DNS, mail and customer support
portals will allow more of your network traffic to migrate to IPv6.

For all of the other corners of the Internet you can implement
DNS64/NAT64 to allow your IPv6-only customers to still get to IPv4
content. This works very well across a wide range of protocols and
applications. I have been running behind a NAT64 gateway for a while.

Only a small number of applications fail in IPv6-only & NAT64
environment - Skype being the only popular one.

I expect that we will be running dual-stack in the core network for many
years to come. IPv6-only on the access network is a reality today.

--
Graham Beneke