[afripv6-discuss] What are the benefits of IPv6 over IPv4

Mark Tinka mark.tinka at seacom.mu
Mon Jun 4 09:17:04 SAST 2012

On Monday, June 04, 2012 12:19:56 AM JORDI PALET MARTINEZ
wrote:

> Tony Hain calculations indicate that if we allocate a /48
> for every human, we will have enough IPv6 addresses for
> the next 500 years or so. So there is not reason for not
> doing so, specially, because for sure, in 50-100 years,
> we will need some new changes, not this time because the
> runout of addresses anymore.

And my contention is that we're still thinking in today's
terms, much like Vint thought in those days' terms.

We simply don't know, yet, what will come along and make
IPv6 look like IPv4 does today. But what we do know is that
something will come along.

Mark.