[afripv6-discuss] What are the benefits of IPv6 over IPv4

SM sm at resistor.net
Sat Jun 2 09:55:43 SAST 2012

At 19:08 01-06-2012, kodion at gmail.com wrote:
>What are the realities of the region?
>
>I see awareness and increased demand for IP that v4 cannot satisfy,
>and wonder why there is any contention.

See below.

At 23:06 01-06-2012, Mukom Akong T. wrote:
>Realities probably differ from one organisation to another. But here
>are some interesting questions for us to consider:
>
>(a) If all educational institutions in Africa decide to get IP
>addresses for at least 50% of their users. What will be the effect on
>AfriNIC's pool of addresses?

How many educational institutions are you thinking about?  Can you
get any data about that from the AAU?

The AfriNIC IPv4 address pool is there for IPv4 allocations to
organizations which have a need for it.  By putting IPv4 address
conservation first you'll end up with more NATs.

>(b) What if the big 10 mobile operators in Africa decide to get rid of
>NAT and so ask for enough IPv4 addresses to do that?

If the market expands significantly these operations may either have
to move to Shared IPv4 address space or give serious consideration to IPv6.

>One stark reality that will be common to all scenarios is that at some
>point, we won't have enough IPv4 addresses to meet the IT development
>needs of the region.

Yes.

>That contention from the current establishment with current ways of
>seeing 'value' is a characteristic response by proponents of an
>incumbent technology to a potentially disruptive one. @SM ... I mean
>IPv6 is a potential disruptive technology as defined by Clayten
>Christensen ... one key characteristic of such being no immediate
>value proposition or business case for the established way of doing
>things.

Ok.

At 23:12 01-06-2012, Mark Tinka wrote:
>If you're talking about end users, well, they don't care.

They don't have to care.  After all, the addressing layer is supposed
to be transparent.

>If you're talking about service providers, well, that's what
>competition is for. The market will sort itself out. If
>African wholesale ISP's can't satisfy the African demand,
>they will run long loops to Europe to fill it.

There are already long loops to Europe.  The market may sort itself
in other regions.  Competition has not fared well in the region as it
is difficult to break the monopoly of the incumbent.

IPv6 adoption in Mauritius is 0%.

Regards,
-sm