[afripv6-discuss] IPv6 - Balancing Planning with DOing (was 6 Steps for Jump-Starting IPv6 Adoption in Government)

Mukom Akong T. mukom.tamon at gmail.com
Wed May 23 17:19:02 SAST 2012

On Wed, May 23, 2012 at 3:40 PM, Mukom Akong T. <mukom.tamon at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Wed, May 23, 2012 at 2:47 PM, Victor Ndonnang
> <ndonnang at isoc-cameroon.org> wrote:
>> So IPv6 adoption and deployment is more about planning than anything else?
>
> To paraphrase someone "Plans are NOTHING, planning is EVERYTHING". I'd
> say IPv6 adoption is 95% DOing and 5% planning.

No takers? Let me re-phrase so my message doesn't get lost in
translation. Planning is very important , it enables us set goals (how
would we know when we have 'deployed' IPv6?) and anticipate the
environment (what effects will it have on my current operations,
finances, processes etc?), ensuring that the project gets done right
as much as possible the first time.

Planning has to stop and some point (maybe not completely) and
DOing/Implementation has to start. I fear that we don't get stuck in
planning .... planning ... planning mode.

Almost every single deployment case study you will find follows some
variation of the Plan>>Do>>[Check>>Act] cycle. So if you have deployed
IPv6, could you please share with us

a - How much of total project time went to planning vs doing?
b - Did the planning phase a discrete one or it happened
intermittently over the project life-cycle?
c - Looking back on the challenges you faced, what else could you have
changed done differently during planning stages to ensure a smoother
adoption?

Regards
--
Mukom Akong [Tamon]

“We don't LIVE in order to BREATH. Similarly WORKING in order to make
MONEY puts us on a one way street to irrelevance.“

[In Search of Excellence & Perfection] - http://perfexcellence.org
[Moments of TechXcellence] - http://techexcellence.net
[ICT Business Integration] - http://ibiztech.wordpress.com
[About Me] - http://about.me/perfexcellence