[afripv6-discuss] IPv6 In South Africa

Ahmed Abu-Abed ahmed at tamkien.com
Sat Jan 14 09:13:14 SAST 2012

Hi Mark,

Replies inline below.

All the best,
-Ahmed

> A Canadian firm, gogo6 Inc., makes IPv6 adapters that
> plug into any IPv4-only modem (or home router) ethernet
> port and enables the home LAN to be IPv6 ready with its
> own public v6 prefix. No change of modem required.

I'm aware of the work gogo6 are doing, but in all fairness,
this is just another tunnel to a tunnel box inside the ISP's
core.

>> Au contraire, the gogo6 IPv6 tunnel terminates inside the ISP. The gogo6 business model is to sell tunnel server hardware to ISPs, and they also provide software & CPE clients to cover the solution end-to-end. There is a Freenet6 global tunnel broker service that uses gogo6 gear and services, and everyone can use that freely, but that doesn't generate revenue for them.

Failure of your v4 service will cripple v6.

>> Since IPv6 interconnect is directly from the ISP to the global network, and the tunnel broker server terminates inside the ISP, then that's not necessarily the case. Also gogo6 servers handle reverse tunneling, i.e. IPv4-in-IPv6 , which gets further resiliency if necessary.

What will be difficult to do is getting native v6 access
into the home. That said, it won't be impossible, but only
if more ISP's are deploying and testing now.

gogo6 is a great stop-gap until all the kinks are worked
out.

>> I agree, while such a solution helps spread IPv6 quickly over legacy IPv4-only networks which will be around for a long time to come. Plus IPv4-in-IPv6 tunneling mode (which is essentially DS-Lite) you can deploy v6 now without much public v4 address needed. And in case someone doubts about performance, Australia’s IPv6 Now service to enterprises showed that such ISP-terminated tunnels have very low latency. See http://www.ipv6now.com.au/tunnels.php , and they also use gogo6 h/w according to their website.

> There is a free download software version of adapters
> that works on Windows PCs; it essentially turns any PC
> on the LAN into an IPv6 adapter.

Well, all it does is implement the transition mechanisms,
that are being discussed in the IETF, in software.

>> It implements RFC5572, the TSP protocol. This is unique in that it can be implemented in both h/w and s/w, so in theory one can have mobile phones now accessing IPv6 content with a s/w client in them connecting to a tunnel server at the mobile operator core, regardless of the intermediate node v6 readiness. And with TSP each customer can also advertise their own /56 or /48 prefixes to devices on the LAN.

I expect we'll see more of this as those standards come to
fruition, as it's certainly plausible that one's PC or
laptop can be used as CPE.

>> If dual-stack is implemented up to the customer sites then such tunnel mechanisms may not be needed, but given how pervasive IPv4 only nodes and CPEs are, then such mechanisms will be around for a long while. Transition mechanisms will not go away until IPv6-only content AND networks are the norm, which will take many years to realize.

-Ahmed