[afripv6-discuss] Are AfriNic's /48 being filtered?

Vincent Ngundi vincent at kenic.or.ke
Tue Aug 28 16:53:45 SAST 2007

Hi Jordi,

On Aug 28, 2007, at 11:19 AM, JORDI PALET MARTINEZ wrote:

> Hi Leo,
>
> I see your point. However, I already got similar inputs from some
> people in
> ARIN region. This doesn't mean that with the time the situation can
> change,
> but the issue is that the policy *today* is not so useful as it
> should be
> and didn't help the provision of critical IPv6 services

IMHO, the policy is _very important and this came out clearly during
the discussions, otherwise we wouldn't have gotten consensus.

> I think operators had been educated to allow /32 or shorter
> prefixes, and
> there will be a hard time to re-educate them.

That's subjective. I agree with Leo, the earlier we start educating
operators on the practice, the faster the problem shall peter. We
need to announce the /48 prefixes on all the nog lists (and other
similar forums) and talk about this new kind of filtering whenever we
can (RIR's should take the lead on this and might want to consider
including this in their awareness programs). Relaxing policies isn't
going to do the community any good; _now or in the long run.

Regards,

-Vincent