[afripv6-discuss] Are AfriNic's /48 being filtered?

Leo Vegoda leo.vegoda at icann.org
Tue Aug 28 10:51:37 SAST 2007

Hi Jordi,

On 28 Aug 2007, at 10:19, JORDI PALET MARTINEZ wrote:

> I see your point. However, I already got similar inputs from some
> people in
> ARIN region. This doesn't mean that with the time the situation can
> change,
> but the issue is that the policy *today* is not so useful as it
> should be
> and didn't help the provision of critical IPv6 services, moreover,
> can be
> against the stability of the deployment and raise negative view
> from service
> providers and customers "oh, it doesn't work because it is IPv6, it is
> broken".
>
> I think operators had been educated to allow /32 or shorter
> prefixes, and
> there will be a hard time to re-educate them.

There are very, very few ASs providing IPv6 connectivity and
services. Getting the word out should not be difficult at all.

> Not really sure if they are
> unhappy with longer prefixes, but probably many of them want to
> make sure to
> avoid more-specifics and PI may look like that, so somehow, yes,
> they may be
> reluctant (and then not just and education issue) to carry prefixes
> longer
> than /32.

As long as they can check the reference page on AfriNIC's web site
when they set up their filters there shouldn't be a major problem,
surely? That is what happens with IPv4 and it mostly works most of
the time.

Regards,

Leo Vegoda