[afripv6-discuss] Configuring a 6to4 Relay in Cisco

Carlos Friacas cfriacas at fccn.pt
Thu Jun 21 16:56:58 SAST 2007

On Thu, 21 Jun 2007, Frank Habicht wrote:

> Hi,

Hi,

> Carlos Friacas wrote:
>> On Thu, 21 Jun 2007, Graham Beneke wrote:
>>> Carlos Friacas wrote:
>>> This is definitely something that I plan to address in the coming
>>> months. However due to the scarcity of bandwidth it could be a while
>>> before it is available over anycast. From previous experience I think
>>> many ISP's would not announce the anycast through their BGP and only
>>> route the anycast on their internal network.
>>
>> It would at least be good if the anycast route gets (through BGP) to a
>> local Internet Exchange [or NAP, using US terminology].
>>
>> I mean, it only gets announced on local peerings, but not on transit links.
>
> I was thinking the same. But I guess one has to be careful, if
> (eventually) too many peers' customers come to your 6to4 relay over te
> local ipv4 peering, and then they use your ipv6 transit or tunnel and
> you pay much for it....

Yes, that is always a danger. But the general idea is to be able to always
see how much 6to4 traffic your 6to4 relay is handling.

> But surely good to get something started and tested.

Well, yes..... if we look at an (european) 6to4 relay map, a good portion
have emerged from academic networks, where available bandwidth is not a
problem.

Maybe when UbuntuNet becomes stronger, their members can give a hand with
this issue too. :-)

> Regards,
>
> Frank

Cheers,

Carlos Friac,as                                            See:
Wide Area Network Working Group (WAN)                      www.gigapix.pt
FCCN - Fundacao para a Computacao Cientifica Nacional      www.ipv6.eu
Av. do Brasil, n.101                                       www.6diss.org
1700-066 Lisboa, Portugal, Europe                          www.geant2.net
Tel: +351 218440100 Fax: +351 218472167
www.fccn.pt
       The end is near........ see http://www.potaroo.net/tools/ipv4
  "Internet is just routes (217118/774), naming (billions) and... people!"

Aviso de Confidencialidade
Esta mensagem e' exclusivamente destinada ao seu destinatario, podendo
conter informacao CONFIDENCIAL, cuja divulgacao esta' expressamente
vedada nos termos da lei. Caso tenha recepcionado indevidamente esta
mensagem, solicitamos-lhe que nos comunique esse mesmo facto por esta
via ou para o telefone +351 218440100 devendo apagar o seu conteudo
de imediato.

Warning
This message is intended exclusively for its addressee.
It may contain CONFIDENTIAL information protected by law. If this
message has been received by error, please notify us via e-mail or by
telephone +351 218440100 and delete it immediately.