[afripv6-discuss] Configuring a 6to4 Relay in Cisco

Miguel A. Diaz miguelangel.diaz at consulintel.es
Thu Jun 21 10:39:32 SAST 2007

Dear Eddy,

I'll try to answer your questions. See below my reply.

Regards
Miguel

192.88.99.0/24 is the anycast prefix reserved for the 6to4 relay
service. See RFC3068 for more details.

The 192.88.99.1 is the anycast address reserved for the 6to4 relay
router. It's an IPv4 address used to reach the nearest 6to4 relay
router. All the public 6to4 relay routers have configured this IPv4
address (in addition to the one configured for the WAN interface). The
ISP should be in charge of announcing via BGP the anycast prefix in
order to the 6to4 relay router be reachable via the anycast address.

The main advantage of using anycast address for this service is that
users don't need to know which is the IPv4 address of the nearest 6to4
router, just they use the anycast address and the routing
infrastructure (i.e. BGP on the Internet) routes the packets to the
nearest 6to4 router.

> 2. since in this example the IP on the router is
> 192.1.2.3,for one to also own 192.88.99.1 the IP space should
> be big unless I am missing something.

The example below assumes that the public IPv4 address in the WAN
interface of the router is 192.1.2.3. You should replace that with the
right information for your own case.

Your real IPv4 address is not related to the anycast address
(192.88.99.1) at all. They both are completely independent. You can
configure both of them to the same router. Just be sure that you
announce the anycast prefix properly in order to the 6to4 router be
reachable via the anycast address.

> Thanks
>
> Eddy
>

> JORDI PALET MARTINEZ wrote:
> > This info provides the steps requires in order to configure
> your Cisco
> > box as a 6to4 Relay.
> >
> > In order to proceed, you need to have a public IPv4 address on
that
> > router, your own IPv6 prefix (provided by AfriNIC in this
> case) and IPv6 transit.
> >
> > And of course, the router need to have an IOS supporting IPv6
> > (including
> > 6to4 support).
> >
> > If you need help in order to acquire your IPv6 prefix from
AfriNIC,