[afripv6-discuss] Configuring a 6to4 Relay in Windows XP or Windows 2003

JORDI PALET MARTINEZ jordi.palet at consulintel.es
Wed Jun 20 15:26:10 SAST 2007

Hi Graham,

I'm not aware of any good study that can be used to compare the performance
of a PC with different operating systems being used as a router, but I think
it will typically depend on the operating systems itself, and that's easier
to find.

In general I think network performance is better in BSD than Linux then last
one Windows, but this may need to be verified with some recent data, with
probably can be found Googling. It seems for example that Vista is much
better, so it may be different than XP.

Also, in BSD and Linux you can unload all the modules that you don't use, so
keeping the OS at a higher performance for the required functions, which is
not necessarily possible in Windows.

Then there may be other considerations, such as the number of concurrent
users of the system.

You could always consider just choosing your preferred platform, actively
measuring the performance, and when it start reaching the machine limits,
then add more machines and create a "cluster". This is something that I
didn't tested, as we never had been in such situation, but may work. Of
course, also another choice will be to move the relays to the PoPs that have
more active users.

Remember also that what we are talking here is not exactly a router, but a
relay, so the performance should not be that much an issue.

As said, I will start with my preferred platform, the one I'm more handy, as
the performance difference will not typically be a trouble at this stage.
When it becomes a trouble, may be it is a good sign that you need to deploy
native IPv6 instead of just transition ?

Regards,
Jordi

> De: Graham Beneke <graham_bulk at apolix.co.za>
> Responder a: <graham_bulk at apolix.co.za>
> Fecha: Mon, 18 Jun 2007 12:36:58 +0200
> Para: <jordi.palet at consulintel.es>, "IPv6 in Africa
> <afripv6-discuss at afrinic.net>" <afripv6-discuss at afrinic.net>
> Asunto: Re: [afripv6-discuss] Configuring a 6to4 Relay in Windows XP or
> Windows 2003
>
> JORDI PALET MARTINEZ wrote:
>> This info provides the steps required in order to configure your Windows box
>> as a 6to4 Relay. It is most probably useful also for configuring a Windows
>> Vista and Windows Longhorn (Windows Server 2008).
>>

> Is there any information regarding the performance of the various 'PC
> based' IPv6 routers when benchmarked against each other?
>
> ie Windows vs Linux vs FreeBSD - which is expected to perform better?
>
> --
>
>   Graham Beneke
>   Apolix Internet Services
>
> E-Mail/MSN/Jabber: graham at apolix.co.za <mailto:graham at apolix.co.za>
> Cell: 082-432-1873 <callto://+27824321873>
> Skype: grbeneke <callto://grbeneke>
> WEB: www.apolix.co.za <http://www.apolix.co.za/>

The IPv6 Portal: http://www.ipv6tf.org

Bye 6Bone. Hi, IPv6 !