[afripv6-discuss] IPv6 - The current status in the tertiaryeducation sector in South Africa

JORDI PALET MARTINEZ jordi.palet at consulintel.es
Thu Jul 14 13:36:28 SAST 2005

Hi Andrew,

If you have some contacts at Telkom, I can try to convince them, and help
them to move on to native IPv6.

Fully agree with your view that some times even with tunnels is faster. Its
only a result of a better operation of the IPv6 networks right now (at least
some of them). Is like when you do something for a second time (setting up
IP networks, 1st time with IPv4, now with IPv6), you have more experience
and do it better, at least you try it. But if it was native it will be even
better probably !

We had the same in several events and situations where we provided native
IPv6 access :-)

In any case, having a native link don't disallow you to have the keep the
tunnels.

Also agree that making the networks IPv6-enabled not necessarily means
investing a lot of money neither a lot of effort. Most of the time IPv6
comes for free, as a value added, when you keep your existing network
properly maintained (firmware upgrades, line cards, etc.).

Most of the cost will come from the lack of experience, as which any new
technology, and that's why we are here to help !

LAC region has only 18 prefixes until June, now they got already 26 and more
coming in the next few weeks. Most of those networks don't just get the
prefix, my goal is also to make sure that they are up and running with IPv6
immediately, and we are getting there.

The proposal is to do the same in AfriNIC. Let's start moving on !

Regards,
Jordi