[afrinic-discuss] AfriNIC transition follow up.

Adiel A. AKPLOGAN adiel at afrinic.net
Wed Feb 16 21:14:29 SAST 2005

Dear colleagues,

As you may have known, AfriNIC entered a transition process
with all the three Regional Internet Registries serving the
Africa region  a few months ago.  This process brought us to
the co-evaluation of requests coming from Africa. During that
phase (which started in September 2004), we have evaluated
more than 400 requests coming from African ISPs and LIRs
for IP allocations/assignments and ASNs.

We are now in preparation to move to the next step of the
transition by starting the PHASE II.

http://www.afrinic.net/transition-documents/Transition%20Plan_v03_Dec2004-001.pdf

This phase is the last one before AfriNIC gets final recognition
from ICANN and will start on February 21st.

What will this imply?

1.    Requests from Africa will be sent using unified request
       templates available at:

       http://www.afrinic.net/documents.htm

2.    All requests must be sent directly via email to
       hostmaster at afrinic.net.
       The AfriNIC IP analyst team will then evaluate the requests
       and if needed, communicate directly with the requestor.

3.    For RIPE NCC region, the LIR portal will be disabled for
       African LIRs.

4.    All requests sent to APNIC, ARIN or RIPE NCC hostmasters will
       be redirected to AfriNIC hostmasters.

5.    From February 22, AfriNIC WHOIS will be online:
       whois.afrinic.net.

       Documentation about AfriNIC database can be found online at:

       http://www.afrinic.net/documents.htm

6.    For more information about the impact of these changes to your
       actual registry, please look at:

       RIPE NCC: http://www.ripe.net/info/resource-admin/afrinic/
       ARIN: http://www.arin.net/library/internet_info/afrinic_transition.html
       APNIC: Available soon

7.    New LIRs: all new members will have to fill the membership
       form available on the AfriNIC web site at:

       http://www.afrinic.net/documents/membership/affrm-ma200501.pdf

       and send it back by fax to: +230 466 6758.

       An on line version of the form will be available shortly.

AfriNIC will directly bill new members according to the fee
schedule adopted by members in the May 2004 meeting in Dakar.
The fee schedule is available on the documents page on the
AfriNIC website.

This step is a very important one for us and for our community.
For any inquiry about AfriNIC or the transition process, please
feel free to contact us at transition at afrinic.net or by phone on
+230 466 66 16 (from 9:00am to 6:00pm local time ­ UTC+4).
Kind regards.

Adiel A. Akplogan
CEO, AfriNIC
www.afrinic.net