[AfrICANN-discuss] Webinar Invitation: Monday, 30 January 2023, 14:00 UTC

Bob Ochieng omondibob at gmail.com
Wed Jan 25 15:59:35 UTC 2023

Dear all,

In Africa, there is an insufficient number of active Internet Exchange Points (IXPs). Because of this, high volume of Internet traffic has to travel unnecessarily too far to be exchanged before it then returns to the same geographical location, resulting in higher costs and slower speeds. IXPs improve Internet access by keeping local traffic localized and, because of that, faster and more affordable. To be effective, IXPs need engineers, service providers, content developers, and policymakers who share the belief that a strong, collaborative community can leverage the Internet ecosystem to improve connectivity and increase the value of the Internet for end users.

The Internet Corporation for Assigned Names and Numbers (ICANN) and the Internet Society (ISOC) invite you to join us for a webinar on:

“Building African IXP Infrastructure: Progressing the Coalition for Digital Africa.”

Monday, 30 January 2023, 14:00 UTC

We will discuss the ever-changing landscape of African interconnection and introduce our new partnership to improve the IXP infrastructure in Africa.

ICANN Interim President & CEO Sally Costerton, ISOC CEO Andrew Sullivan, and the African IXP Association (AF-IX) Co-Coordinator Kyle Spencer will share their thoughts about the future of peering and interconnection in Africa and how our partnership will help to speed Internet access for users across the continent.

Kindly register here <https://events.zoom.us/ev/Al1m_2QI349WkyLgJVCXpOP4L0onkb3RB61EmFnUa_ECHdT6fXL7~AggLXsr32QYFjq8BlYLZ5I06Dg>.

The webinar will be conducted in English, with simultaneous interpretation in French; and recorded for those who cannot attend the live session.

All are welcome to attend this webinar. Please feel free to forward this invite to anyone you think may be interested.

Regards,

ICANN and ISOC