[AfrICANN-discuss] [AFRI-Discuss] Call for topics: Joint AFRALO-AfrICANN meeting for ICANN67

Mark Elkins mje at posix.co.za
Fri Jan 10 13:26:08 UTC 2020

I also like the sound of Barrack's proposal. What exactly does "DNS
Abuse" mean though?

If it is to try and get all important Domains DNSSEC Signed and for all
DNS Resolvers to become DNSSEC aware - that would be a winner in my book!

Incidentally - about 50% of all DNS lookups in South Africa are DNSSEC
aware. That's actually the easy bit. Just have the Internet Connection
suppliers enable DNSSEC on their resolvers.

Getting the bulk or at least the important Domains DNSSEC Signed will be
a bit more challenging but is quite possible; e.g. any domain for a
website which may involve a financial transaction or deal with personal
information.

On my Domain Registration and Hosting Platform, if I am running the
Registrants DNS (Zone file), DNSSEC is simply an option the Registrant
can switch on. I could change that and simply enable it for everyone.
However, if the Domain is then moved to a Registrar that does not
support DNSSEC - there would be issues for the new Registrar.