[AfrICANN-discuss] Ref: Kenya rejects bid to punish States for internet shutdown

Badru Ntege badru.ntege at nftconsult.com
Mon May 1 06:48:11 UTC 2017

Unintended consequences of the Bottom up process, anyone can come up with an idea as baseless as it may be it goes through the peer review process, which hopefully will be rejected by the community since it does not make sense.

The problem is while it has life going through the process those not aware of the policy development process can think it is how the community is thinking since at time the promoters might choose to use external avenues for publicity reasons.

We can never plug all these avenues that can bring disrepute to our AfriNIC community, Nor can we normalize members intent.

However I note the Cabinet secretary’s disappointment that the authors are from his juristiction.  I want to also add the disappointment that the authors are supposed to have been well versed with the mandate and responsibility of an organization like AfriNIC.  They are also office bearers or have stood to become office bearers in the past.

As a community we need to be very active in selecting who we hand the mantle to lead our organization that opportunity comes up once every year in the AGM that will be held in Nairobi next month.

I urge members to be active, we cannot control much what individual members propose but when we have office bearers and prospective bearers pushing individual or commercial agendas as the article seems to denote we need to keep those members away from holding any AfriNIC office.

The future of our next generation cannot be left in those pushing self interest to the point of opening a battlefront with our African Governments.

Badru Ntege