[AfrICANN-discuss] bad ICANN nomcom diversity - Re: ICANN 2016 Nominating Committee Announces Selections - unfortunate Africa distribution

Dr Paulos B Nyirenda paulos at sdnp.org.mw
Fri Sep 2 08:20:55 UTC 2016

I have been trying to work out and understand whether the ICANN NomCom could have
done better than this in this selection and I find that there could be an inherent problem with
diversity considerations within the ICANN NomCom

They say that a picture says more than a thousand words, so, take a look at the 2016 ICANN
NomCom and assess this ICANN asset for your serves:
https://www.icann.org/sites/default/files/assets/nomcom2016-members-1200x800-12nov15-e
n.jpg .
This is the group photo available at: https://www.icann.org/nomcom2016

Is it diverse enough ?

It is then pertinet to ask if this kind of diversity in ICANN NomCom could have led to the
unfortunate selection of Board members in the recent NomCom announcement. I tend to
think so, question is, can they see beyond their noses ?

My understanding is that for these things to get this bad at this level, something in the
oversight function in ICANN is missing or has gone wrong and it should really not be
happening in 2016 when we are all very conscious of the IANA Transition.

So, studies like this one mentioned by SM are important and it would be good to see the
results.

Now, if there is any ICANN Board member listening to this, Mike included, please ask the
Board to take or show a similar picture at the next ICANN Meeting with NomCom in front and
ICANN Board at the back, then anyone can assess for themselves, especially on the case we
are dealing with in this thread.

Regards,

Paulos
Dr Paulos B Nyirenda