[AfrICANN-discuss] ICANN 2016 Nominating Committee Announces Selections - unfortunate Africa d

SM sm at resistor.net
Thu Sep 1 04:49:12 UTC 2016

Hi Walu, Mike, Paulos,
At 09:17 31-08-2016, Walubengo J wrote:
>I know it is a touchy subject but fortunately or unfortunately I stand by it.

A few months ago, the Association Française pour
le Nommage Internet en Coopération published a
report about ICANN diversity.  According to the
report, "Africa, Latin America and Asia are
under-represented" as "ICANN community leaders".

At 07:48 31-08-2016, Dr Paulos B Nyirenda wrote:
>is not the lever that I want to go down to in
>this case for ICANN Board Members, I am talking
>about regional diversity as defined in the ICANN
>system as well as in our own Africa Region Internet institutions
>
>I am not instigating for a quota other than what
>is already in the bylaws BUT I am asking for
>some reasonablenes in aclaimed ICANN diversity
>which  I do not see in the current NomCom
>selection, that is the observation that I am making.

I tried to find information about one of the
region's internet institution.  Unfortunately,
the Africa Top Level Domain does not make its
constitution available on its website.  The ICANN
bylaws has a "diversity calculation".  The ALAC
Representative for the region is better qualified to explain how that works.

Regards,
-sm