[AfrICANN-discuss] FW: Read Today's #ICANN55 Newsletter For The Latest News

Mamadou LO alfamamadou at hotmail.com
Mon Mar 7 08:36:55 UTC 2016

Mamadou LO
Chef du Département Communication et Information Documentaire
Head of Communication and Information Department
Crédit Agricole Sénégal
Tel : 221 77 645 59 57

Date: Mon, 7 Mar 2016 01:42:15 -0500
From: icann.communications at communications.icann.org
To: alfamamadou at hotmail.com
Subject: Read Today's #ICANN55 Newsletter For The Latest News

 Having trouble viewing this email?
Click here
Hello. You're receiving this email because you expressed an interest in ICANN. Don't forget to add icann.communications at icann.org to your address book so we'll be sure to land in your inbox!  You may unsubscribe if you no longer wish to receive our emails.

 Arrive at the Convention Center Early For This Morning's Welcome & President's Opening Session, 0830am in Atlas!

ICANN's Ted Bartles, Nancy Lupiano, Brad White and Board Chair Steve Crocker

review plans  for today's Welcome  & President's Opening Session

Join this morning's Welcome and President's Opening Session. ICANN Board Chair Steve Crocker, CEO and President Fadi Chehadé, incoming CEO and President Göran Marby, as well as other special guests, will address ICANN55 participants.

Translation is available for this event in Arabic, Chinese, French, Russian, Portuguese and Spanish. Don't forget to pickup a headset if you require translation. Remote participation is also available. We suggest you arrive early to avoid long security queues.

Click here for full session info.

Today's ICANN55 High Interest Sessions

 TIME

 SESSION

 ROOM LOCATION

07:00 to 08:15

DNS Women's Breakfast

Jardin Andalou

08:30 to 09:45

Welcome & President's Opening Session

Atlas

10:00 to 18:00

GAC High Level Governmental Meeting

Cristal

10:30 to 11:45

IANA Stewardship Transition Implementation

Atlas

10:30 to 11:45

LAC Space

Ametyste

10:45 to 12:00

>From Newcomer to Review Enthusiast: Getting Started with Reviews

Palmeraie

13:30 to 15:00

CCWG-Accountability Engagement Session

Atlas

15:15 to 16:30

Exploring the "Public Interest" Within ICANN's Remit

Atlas

15:15 to 16:30

New gTLD Program Reviews and Related Activities

Toubkal

17:00 to 18:30

Public Forum 1

Atlas

19:00 to 20:30

Tribute to Fadi Chehadé and AFRALO Showcase

Orion Tent

Click the picture to watch Theresa Swinehart provide an update on the IANA Stewardship Transition.

ALAC Confirms Approval of CCWG-Accountability Work Stream 1 Proposal

Yesterday, the ALAC joined SSAC and the ASO in confirming approval for the CCWG-Accountability Work Stream 1 Proposal. The CCWG-Accountability now awaits feedback from its remaining three Chartering Organizations before it can submit its Final Proposal to the ICANN Board.

Today's IANA Transition Sessions

10:30 to 11:45 | Atlas | IANA Stewardship Transition Implementation13:30 to 15:00 | Atlas | CCWG-Accountability Engagement Session

 Join Us Today for Getting Started with Reviews, 1045 in Palmeraie

Getting Started with Reviews

 Do you know what ICANN Reviews are and why they are important?   If you are like many others we've talked to, you might appreciate an introduction to Reviews to help you figure out why you may want to learn more and get involved.

Reviews are crucial to understanding what happens when multistakeholder policies and processes meet the real world.  They provide a way to evaluate ICANN's performance toward its commitments, much like a report card.   The review process helps us look at the past to improve the future.
Join us for "Getting Started with Reviews" to learn from experienced community members and find out how easy it is to get involved.
Today's Getting Started with Reviews Session

10:45 to 12:00 | Palmeraie | From Newcomer to Review Enthusiast: Getting Started with Reviews

 Today at 1200pm In The Diamant Room:
Participate In The Joint ccNSO/GNSO Councils Meeting!

With a continued increase in cross-community work, this is an important session for these two bodies to coordinate their work and assure complimentary and cooperative policy development for both generic and country code top-level domains. One of the issues discussed today will be the work of the Cross Community Working Group that was charted by both Councils to create a policy framework on the issue of country and territory names as top-level domains.

Today's Session
12:00 to 13:30 | Diamant | Joint ccNSO/GNSO Council Meeting
Join Us For The Monday Public Forum at 1700 in AtlasJoin community leaders from the Supporting Organizations and Advisory Committees for updates on important policy development and advisory activity across ICANN. Public Forum 1 also provides the community with the opportunity to raise topics of interest.

For more session information, click here.

New gTLD Program Reviews Are Underway - We Need Your Expertise!

More than 925 gTLDs have been added since the launch of the New gTLD Program in 2011. Comprehensive reviews of the program have now begun, covering a range of topics from rights protection to competition, consumer trust and choice, and root stability. Program reviews enable community members to provide input for consideration in developing the next round of new gTLDs. At ICANN55, find out which review activities are currently underway and put your questions to ICANN staff and independent firms conducting these reviews.

Today's Session
15:15 - 16:30 | Toubkal | New gTLD Program Reviews and Related Activities

Kaili Kan - CHINA
At-Large Advisory Committee (ALAC); Competition, Consumer Trust and Consumer Choice Review Team (CCT-RT)

What is your current job?
I am a Professor Emeritus at the School of Economics and Management at Beijing University of Posts and Telecommunications (BUPT). I also serve as the Director of Policy and Development Institute of Information Industries (PDIII).

How did you become involved in ICANN?
My research is focused in the areas of ICT [internet and communications technology] policy and development strategies, telecommunications competition and regulation, ICT economics, and the Internet and social development. I attended my first ICANN meeting in 2007, and have been following the development of ICANN ever since. Since retiring from my university, I have more time to volunteer with ICANN - I am currently working on ALAC and CCT-RT.

How many ICANN meeting have you attended?
I've attended three meetings: in 2007, 2011 and 2015.

What is your call to action?
The APAC region accounts for almost half of the world's population of Internet users, but our role in global Internet governance is not proportionate. I would like to call on my fellow netizens in China and the Asia Pacific region to join me and participate in ALAC and ICANN.

Tonight! Join The Tribute to Fadi Chehadé and AFRALO Showcase

Join us this evening at Orion Tent from 19:00 to 20:30 for the Tribute to Fadi Chehadé and AFRALO showcase.

Aziz Hilali, AFRALO Chair and Steve Crocker, Chair of the ICANN Board will kick start the session with a welcome and an opening address respectively. Moulay Hafid Elalamy, Minister of Industry, Trade and New Technologies; El Mountassir Billah Azdine, Director General of the National Agency for Regulation of Telecommunications; Fadi Chehadé, ICANN President and CEO, and other special guests will also be joining them at the session.

Today's Session

19:00 to 20:30 | Orion Tent | Tribute to Fadi Chehadé and AFRALO Showcase