[AfrICANN-discuss] FW: ICANN News Alert -- Call for Volunteers for the Second Security, Stability, and Resiliency of the DNS (SSR2) Review Team
bekele at isoc.org
Mon Jul 11 05:10:43 UTC 2016
Begin forwarded message:
From: "ICANN News Alert" <no-reply at external.icann.org<mailto:no-reply at external.icann.org>>
Subject: ICANN News Alert -- Call for Volunteers for the Second Security, Stability, and Resiliency of the DNS (SSR2) Review Team
Date: June 30, 2016 at 6:14:24 PM MDT
To: <kmulber at gmail.com<mailto:kmulber at gmail.com>>
Reply-To: no-reply at external.icann.org<mailto:no-reply at external.icann.org>
Call for Volunteers for the Second Security, Stability, and Resiliency of the DNS (SSR2) Review Team
30 June 2016
DEADLINE – Applications due on 15 August 2016.
As part of its existing Affirmation of Commitments (AoC) requirements, ICANN is seeking volunteers to serve on the Second Security, Stability, and Resiliency of the DNS Review Team (SSR2-RT). Candidates are asked to submit their applications to reviews at icann.org<mailto:reviews at icann.org> by 15 August 2016, 23:59 UTC.
Transition to New Bylaws
ICANN has recently adopted new Bylaws that are not yet effective that introduce new selection processes for AoC review teams. Accordingly, this Call for Volunteers, as well as the timelines described below, may be updated by ICANN during this application period to reflect these new procedures, if and when they become effective. We will keep you updated as needed.
Community-led reviews are an important mechanism for furthering ICANN's key objectives:
* Ensuring accountability, transparency and the interests of global Internet users;
* Preserving security, stability and resiliency of the DNS;
* Promoting competition, consumer trust and consumer choice;
* WHOIS policy.
The first Security, Stability & Resiliency of the DNS Review Team, which was convened under the Affirmation of Commitments, delivered its final report<https://www.icann.org/en/system/files/files/final-report-20jun12-en.pdf> [PDF, 1.16 MB] on 20 June 2012 and the report was accepted by the Board on 18 October 2012 for implementation.
Call for Volunteers to Submit Applications
This call seeks individuals interested in serving as a Volunteer Review Team Member on the SSR2-RT. Applicants need to indicate whether they are applying to be considered as a representative of a Supporting Organization (SO) or Advisory Committee (AC) or wish to be considered as an Independent Expert.
The composition of the Review Team ideally will be balanced for diversity and skill, as determined by the applicable processes at the time the selection is made.
Call for volunteers published 30 June 2016
Deadline to apply for Review Team 15 August 2016
Publication of Applicants 15 September 2016
Review Team selected and announced November 2016
1st Review Team meeting December 2016
Estimate for Final Report to be issued December 2017
Applicants will be asked to devote substantial time to the review process.
Review Team work is expected to include regular conference calls up to four (4) hours per week, some of which may not be held during business hours in all time zones; and multiple two- to three-day face-to-face meetings scheduled throughout the review period at locations to be determined. Review Team members will be expected to spend additional personal time in reviewing material, gathering data, preparing analysis, and drafting reports.
SSR2 Review Team members and Independent Experts who volunteer to be on the Review Team will not be remunerated. Eligible Review Team members will receive a per diem to cover travel, meal and lodging costs to participate in Review Team meetings in accordance with ICANN's community travel support guidelines<https://community.icann.org/pages/viewpage.action?pageId=49351584>.
* Participate in creation of review team governance documents, such as the terms of reference, scope of the review and the timeline;
* Review implementation of the first SSR Review Team's recommendations as approved by the ICANN Board;
* Select appropriate performance indicators and benchmarks, including considering those recommended<https://www.icann.org/en/system/files/files/final-report-20jun12-en.pdf> [PDF, 1.16 MB] by the first SSR Review Team, and those on which data has already been collected;
* Apply best practices designed to simplify and increase the effectiveness of Reviews as expressed in Reviews Policies, Procedures and Guidelines1<https://www.icann.org/resources/pages/call-volunteers-cct-rt-2015-10-01-en#foot1>;
* Consider public, community and Board input and incorporate it as appropriate in Review Team recommendations;
* Determine whether additional data or analysis is needed and participate in an ensuing provider selection, if necessary;
* Provide timely updates to the community on the status of the Review Team's work;
* Analyze findings;
* Draw conclusions based on findings, develop useful and feasible recommendations;
* Provide guidance on prioritization of recommendations and definition of desired outcomes;
* Provide draft conclusions for input from community, staff and Board;
* Deliver a final Review Team report;
* Designate Review Team members to participate in the implementation planning work that follows the delivery of the final Review Team report.
Skills and Experience
To compose a well-balanced Review Team, ICANN seeks members who, in the aggregate, possess the following skills and experience:
* Internet Unique Identifiers, including; DNS (Domain Name System), IP Numbering, AS Numbers, and Protocol Parameters
* Mitigating Unique Identifier abuse
* Registry and Registration security and abuse
* Operation of the DNS root name system
* Understanding of malware and abuse vectors and mitigations
* Risk Assessment and Management
* Corporate Data Security and/or Business Systems
* Incident Response
Composition of the Review Team, depending on skills required, will aim to achieve:
* Diversity in general, with particular attention on:
* Geographic diversity; and
* Gender diversity.
Applicants should possess the following professional and personal attributes:
* Multistakeholder community understanding
* Team spirit, adaptability, consensus-seeking attitude
* Willingness to learn
* Readiness to contribute
* Capacity to reason objectively, putting aside personal opinions or preconceptions
* Analytical skills
Methodology, Budget & Support
The methodology for conducting this review is to be determined by the Review Team in accordance with standards, good practices used to conduct performance assessments and other relevant community procedures that will guide the work.
ICANN will provide the Review Team with the review budget and related financial assumptions at the start. Throughout the review, there will be periodic reporting on the progress relative to planned schedule and allocated budget.
ICANN staff support will be made available to the Review Team. Support includes assistance with project management, organization of work, documents and activities, as well as sharing of tools and best practices for conducting an effective review.
Independent (Subject Matter) Experts may be solicited following ICANN procurement processes to support the work of the Review Team upon request, and bounded by the applicable budget.
English is the working language of the Review Team. Key communications and documents will be translated in accordance with the ICANN Language Services policies.
How to Apply for the Position of Volunteer Review Team Member
Interested individuals are invited to provide the following:
* A resume (maximum three pages), detailing relevant work and/or academic experience, as well as subject matter knowledge;
* A letter of motivation detailing your interest in serving on the Review Team and what you will bring to the team. Please include any experience participating in previous ICANN reviews;
* A Statement of Interest;
* Name the Supporting Organization or Advisory Committee that your application should be referred to for consideration for endorsement/nomination;
* Any additional information the Supporting Organization or Advisory Committee may consider in reaching its selection. Applications will be forwarded to the Supporting Organization (SO) or Advisory Committee (AC) identified by the applicant, so that these organizations can initiate their internal processes to endorse or nominate their representatives to be considered for the Review Team.
Applications should be emailed to reviews at icann.org<mailto:reviews at icann.org>.
The list of all candidates and their applications materials will be published on the ICANN website once the application deadline has passed.
The deadline to submit applications is 15 August 2016 at 23:59 UTC.
If you have any questions, please contact Margie Milam or Karen Mulberry at SSR2-Questions at icann.org<mailto:SSR2-Questions at icann.org>
This message was sent to kmulber at gmail.com<mailto:kmulber at gmail.com> from:
ICANN News Alert | no-reply at external.icann.org<mailto:no-reply at external.icann.org> | ICANN | 12025 Waterfront Drive Suite 300 | Los Angeles, CA 90094-2536
Email Marketing by[iContact - Try It Free!]<http://www.icontact.com/a.pl/144186>
Manage Your Subscription<http://app.icontact.com/icp/mmail-mprofile.pl?r=24547422&l=6333&s=KAZB&m=990450&c=165637>
-------------- next part --------------
An HTML attachment was scrubbed...
More information about the AfrICANN