[AfrICANN-discuss] ICANN 2016 Nominating Committee Announces

waudo siganga emailsignet at mailcan.com
Wed Aug 31 11:22:27 UTC 2016

There is some confusion about the board. There is no board member who
"represents" a region per se, as in being there to speak for a region.
The bylaws only require that there must be at least one board member
from every region, which is a fine distinction. That board member does
not need to have joined via the nomcom route.

This round the nomcom had no obligation to pick a candidate from Africa,
since Mike Siber was already there, although he is on the board as a
ccNSO and not nomcom appointee.

There was therefore no need to consider Cherine in terms of the regional
requirement. Im sure - although im not speaking for the nomcom - he was
appointed because of his skill sets which are necessary for the board
and board committees. Plus the other appointee is an ALAC appointee and
therefore has nothing to do with the nomcom.

Ive been attending a meeting with George Sadowsky in Vienna. A few years
ago he chaired a board committee on nomcom reforms. He told me those
recommendations will come up soon and hopefully colleagues on this list
will add their input.

W.