[AfrICANN-discuss] Growing the L-Root Footprint in Africa

Bob Omondi omondibob at gmail.com
Fri Mar 20 19:09:38 UTC 2015

Dear friends,

We are happy to inform you of the continued interest we keep receiving from
various Stakeholders / organizations keen on hosting our L-Root server
instances in Africa. During ICANN 51, Fadi Chehade in his opening address
noted the importance of keeping our L-Root copies actively growing,
especially in Africa.

Over the last year, we received close to eight requests from interested
potential hosts and we are happy to report that 3 more L-Root copies have
since been fully commissioned in 3 countries in Africa (Seychelles,
Tanzania and Mauritius), all in the last three months.

This brings to 12 in total, the number of L-Root copies in Africa and we
are hopeful that by ICANN 55 in Marrakesh, we should have added more!  This
will significantly reduce the response time to resolve queries to the DNS
root zone, enhancing Internet experience for users and, of course,
strengthening Internet's critical infrastructure in Africa while
demonstrating ICANN’s strong commitment to enhancing the stability &
resiliency of the Internet globally.

Kind Regards

Bob.