[AfrICANN-discuss] Recent terror attacks and planned AIS, Afrinic, Afnog Meetings in Tunisia

Tijani BEN JEMAA tijani.benjemaa at planet.tn
Thu Mar 19 10:18:57 UTC 2015

Yes Brian, it was terrible.

I’m Tunisian, and I am so sad for what happened yesterday. It was the first time the terrorist attack in our cities. They targeted the tourists to make you and all other foreigners refrain from coming to Tunis.

But they don’t go to the conference venues because those places are very secured.

I remember last IGF Africa was planned to take place in Abuja, and after security problems, people had the same fear and didn’t want to go there. But the organizers and the Nigerian government assured us that they will be protecting us, and we went there. It was wonderful, and a very successful IGF.

So, don’t worry; Tunisia is very safe, or at least as safe as Paris or Copenhagen. In any country, you may have such an incident. When it is a single one, you can’t consider it unsecure, but if it is a recurrent problem, yes, you are right to have the fear you expressed.

Welcome to Tunis

Tijani BEN JEMAA

Executive Director

Phone:  + 216 41 649 605