[AfrICANN-discuss] Internet Number Community's IANA Oversight Proposal Submitted

AFRINIC Communication comm-announce at afrinic.net
Fri Jan 23 07:06:57 UTC 2015

Dear Colleagues,

On 15 January 2015 the Consolidated RIR IANA Stewardship Proposal (CRISP) Team submitted the Internet number community’s proposal  to the IANA Stewardship Transition Coordination Group (ICG).

You can find the proposal at:: http://afrinic.net/images/doc/icg-rfp-number-resource-proposal.pdf

For our francophone colleagues, please note that the proposal is being translated in French and will be available shortly.

Key Elements
------------

The key elements of the proposal are:

-  ICANN to continue as the IANA Functions Operator for the IANA Numbering Services, hereinafter referred to as the IANA Numbering Services Operator, via a contract with the RIR

- Intellectual Property Rights (IPR) related to the provision of the IANA services remains with the community;

- Service Level Agreement (SLA) with the IANA Numbering Services Operator

- Establishment of a Review Committee, with representatives from each RIR, to advise the NRO EC on the review of the IANA functions operator’s performance and meeting of identified service levels

You can find all previous drafts, an overview of community input and feedback as well as recordings of all CRISP Team teleconferences here.

CRISP Team
----------
The CRISP Team held a series of teleconferences which were open to observers to discuss the proposals, published two drafts and called upon the five RIR communities for input. The third and final draft represents the global Internet number community's consensus position.

On behalf of the entire AFRINIC community, our thanks go the entire CRISP Team for their tireless work to pull together this complex document in a matter of weeks, and especially to our community representatives Alan P. Barrett and Mwenda Kivuva and AFRINIC staff representative Ernest Byaruhanga.

Next Steps
---------
The ICG will work to consolidate proposals received from the three stakeholder communities (Numbers, Domain Names and Protocol Parameters), with the goal of producing a single proposal on IANA stewardship for the National Telecommunications and Information Administration (NTIA) by June 2015. We will keep AFRINIC members and the AFRINIC community informed of all developments though our dedicated mailing lists, webpages and social media accounts.

More Information

- Read the background and keep up to date with developments on our dedicated IANA Oversight Transition pages

Regards,
AFRINIC Ltd.
t: +230 403 51 00 | f: +230 466 6758 | tt: @afrinic | w:
www.afrinic.net
facebook.com/afrinic | flickr.com/afrinic | youtube.com/afrinicmedia

Join us for AIS’15 in Tunisia
24 May - 5 June, 2015