[AfrICANN-discuss] Webinar Summary Report: January 13, 2015

Christopher Momanyi cmomanyi at strathmore.edu
Fri Jan 16 06:43:20 UTC 2015

Bob, thanks for sharing this

Regards

On 16 January 2015 at 09:32, Bob Omondi <omondibob at gmail.com> wrote:

> Dear Listers,
>

> *Topic: IANA Stewardship Transition and Enhancing ICANN Accountability*
>

> On January 13, The Africa team hosted a webinar on IANA Stewardship
> Transition and Enhancing ICANN Accountability. The webinar targeted the
> Africa community and was open to all. A total of 20 participants joined the
> call including representatives from the various CWGs namely Mohamed El
> Bashir (ICG), Seun Ojedeji (CWG on naming) and Tijani Ben Jemaa
> (CCWG-accountability) who together with ICANN's Theresa Swinehart were the
> speakers.
>

> After welcome remarks from Pierre, Theresa , in her presentation, gave an
> overview and status of the two work streams on IANA Stewardship and on
> Enhancing ICANN Accountability while noting the tremendous progress that
> has been made by the two broad groups. She encouraged the participants and
> greater Africa community to get fully involved in the processes.
>

> The rest of the speakers also gave overviews of the current status of
> their CWGs while Mohamed El Bashir highlighted the main role of the ICG
> noting that the ICG will receive and consolidate the proposals from the 3
> CWGs before forwarding to the NTIA via the ICANN Board. This only after
> ensuring that the proposal meets the criteria set out by the NTIA.
>

> Main questions raised included an evaluation of Africa's participation in
> the processes so far; while Seun reported that the CWG on naming will not
> meet the Jan 2015 deadline in submitting their proposal to the ICG , Tijani
> called for more African participation in the CCWG on Accountability,
> observing that very few are taking part in the historic process.
>

> Please access the recording (English) here: *http://ftp.adigo.com/clients/icann/20150113_AfricanCommunityWebinar.zip
> <http://ftp.adigo.com/clients/icann/20150113_AfricanCommunityWebinar.zip>*
>

> Going forward, we plan to organize targeted webinars to the various
> stakeholder groups in Africa on a regular basis to help stimulate more
> active engagement from the community in key ICANN issues.
>

> Regards
>
> Bob.

Christopher Momanyi
Strathmore University
Ole Sangale Rd, Madaraka Estate
PO Box 59857 -00200 Nairobi, Kenya
Tel : +254 0703 034 000 office ext 2152
www.strathmore.edu

--

Note: All emails sent from Strathmore University are subject to
Strathmore's Email Terms & Conditions. Please click here

"Visit our Facebook <https://www.facebook.com/StrathmoreUniversity>Page and Twitter
<https://twitter.com/StrathU>Account".