[AfrICANN-discuss] Summary: Africa Sessions #ICANN52
omondibob at gmail.com
Wed Feb 11 07:56:54 UTC 2015
*Summary: Africa Sessions #ICANN52*
Earlier today we held the 2nd and last session of the Africa Sessions here
#ICANN52 and we are glad to report that the attendance and level of
participation witnessed was very impressive. Indeed, yesterday we had a
full house (Fig 1) and still managed to attract over 35 participants during
today’s Session on “The Road to Marrakesh”
Figure 1: Full house at Africa strategy Session: Feb 10 in Morrison Room
During session 1 (Yesterday), we were privileged to be joined by 2 board
members, Mike Silber and George Sadowsky while Tarek attended in part,
Sally who also attended in part addressed the participants and appreciated
the efforts made so far and assured the team of ICANNs commitment to Africa.
*Day1, Key Outcomes / Questions: Africa Strategy Review Session - Feb 10*
· Support programme to get more ICANN accredited Registrars in Africa;
· Appreciation of the ongoing programmes especially the DNS Business
· *Policies* and *Pricing* are the key challenges facing the DNS
industry in Africa – especially ccTLDs, capacity building in this are is
· Lack of E-payments / automation for ccTLD is inhibiting their growth
· .*Africa* status / delay concerns;
· Session audio Recording is ready and can be accessed here
The New Africa Strategic Plan 2016 – 2020 will now be adopted from FY16
*Day2, Key Outcomes / Questions: On the road to Marrakech - Feb 11*
· The session was to update the community and seek their further input
on the proposed projects that have been suggested to help build momentum
for Africa’s participation in ICANN 55 in Marrakesh.
· The projects include, High-level governmental meeting, Meeting of
African regulators and NextGen programme all during ICANN 55. It also
recommends ICANN’s Active participation in key African Continental meetings
· The projects received support from the participants but with
suggestion to open up the high level meetings to other stakeholders like
Civil Society and private sector.
· Tarek (Session Chair) advised that the ICANN community in Africa
must be clear on what the High Level meetings are expected to achieve.
· For details and presentations for the session please click here
-------------- next part --------------
An HTML attachment was scrubbed...
More information about the AfrICANN