[AfrICANN-discuss] Re: [technical-issues] [ALAC-Announce] ICANN News Alert -- Remaining IPv4 Addresses to be Redistributed to Regional Internet Registries | Address Redistribution Signals that IPv4 is Nearing Total Exhaustion

Dr Eberhard Lisse el at lisse.NA
Wed May 21 17:01:42 SAST 2014

Neil,

on 2014-05-21, 15:12 Neil Schwartzman said the following:
[...]
> But telling them ‘too bad upgrade’ for legacy equipment is
> being cavalier with other people’s money.

I do not understand the ABOVE sentence.

> The cost of network equipment is the same in England, or Canada,
> or rural India (or even rural Ireland).

That is not necessarily true. The markup is specifically targeting
each market. And Cisco, for example. is quite annoyed at "grey"
imports :-)-O

> The difference is the wages, and rates which ISPs can charge.

And, besides the buying power, in may countries it is exremely difficult
(and expensive) to get access to foreign exchange.

> In the end, a cybercafé in Jharbandh is only going to be able to
> charge 1 INR/hour, and telling that owner operator that he now
> *must* spend money s/he doesn’t have to upgrade is a losing
> argument.

That's quite true.

> While the Internet of Things is all well and good (I can’t wait to
> assign an IPv6 address to my dog, and her bowl & leash) we still have a
> Internet of *People* to finish hooking up.

I personally believe that this "Internet of Things" is overhyped,
actually, even in very affluent countries the usage is minimal...

> Neil Schwartzman
[...]

greetings, el
PO Box 8421             \     /