[AfrICANN-discuss] IETF89 starts tomorrow March 2nd in London with ICANN as a host: Some interesting reading and remote participation.

Dawda Jatta dawda.jatta at utg.edu.gm
Mon Mar 3 13:44:58 SAST 2014

"May be African young engineers need mentorship on how to follow and
participate in technical mailing lists? If yes, this should been done at
the University and national levels."

*I strongly agree with you on this point. Using African universities would
be one of the best ways since this is where you can have enthusiast young
Engineers in the making. *

*Was going through IETF 87 - Berlin summary and it portion of it states
"... This meeting was also the first for our new mentoring system.
Volunteers from the IETF attendees had set up 50 mentors helping new people
find their way in the IETF...". This is actually a good initiative and
hoping that many young African Engineers will soon benefit from this
mentoring.*

On Mon, Mar 3, 2014 at 6:05 AM, Kivuva <Kivuva at transworldafrica.com> wrote:

> There is very little exposure on the continent for upcoming techies on
> what IETF is all about, with no knowledge that they are also welcomed to
> participate. And this is something we can correct through advocacy using
> our local Chapters of say, Internet Society. The few who are exposed to the
> workings of IETF are better placed to nurture upcoming talent.
>
> I am working with my local Internet Society chapter to sensitize members
> on the importance of volunteering and contributing to the IETF. We have
> very many good young people with the appetite to volunteer, but they are
> not exposed.
>
> This is a very important discussion.

Best Regards,
Dawda Jatta