[AfrICANN-discuss] Internet Governance session in Next AFRINIC Meeting

Dr Eberhard Lisse el at lisse.NA
Tue Jan 7 11:29:50 SAST 2014

An Address Registry allocates and/or assigns Addresses and is not
involved in other Internet-related policy issues.

If I had to pay for an address block and they would use my funds for
unrelated purposes I'd probably try and do something about it.  It's
already enough that they are inflating their staffing to the extent
of employing a COO.

But then this is Africa, we like to travel...

...if others pay for it.

el

on 2014-01-07, 10:37 Kivuva said the following:
> A RIR should be in the center of all things IG. Most of the
> discussions in the IG "talkshops" end up being adopted as policy
> by various players.  Why would Afrinic want to be sidelined?
>
> And isn't the work of an Address Registry a subset of IG?
>
> On 06/01/2014, Seun Ojedeji <seun.ojedeji at gmail.com> wrote:
>> On Mon, Jan 6, 2014 at 9:37 PM, Dr Eberhard W Lisse <el at lisse.na> wrote:
>>
>>> Why would an Address Registry do an IG session during a Training
>>> Workshop?
>>>
>>> Well IS is not solely about training workshop [1].  Same with
>>> the AFRINIC meetings.
>>

>>> And then a whole day?
>>>
>>> Oh, I forgot, this is Africa, we want Talkshops instead.
>>>

>> Not quite, while i personally would also prefer more of the
>> workshop, however it seem its in the "talkshops" that the voices
>> are heard and decisions are made.  So we need to be
>> "techi-talk-shop as much as possible.  Nevertheless i think the
>> events are usually packed with a mix and IG is not the first talk
>> show to be introduced.
>>
>> Cheers!
>> 1. http://internetsummitafrica.org/
>>
>>> EL
>>>
>>> Sent from Dr Lisse's iPad mini
>>>
>>> On Jan 6, 2014, at 21:57, Hago Dafalla <dafalla at yahoo.com> wrote:
>>>
>>> Dear Seun;
>>>

>>>    Yes I need IG Day in every AFRINIC Meeting.
>>>

>>>    Thanks
>>>
>>> Hago Dafalla
>>> Sudan
>>>

>>>   On Monday, 6 January 2014, 22:42, Seun Ojedeji <seun.ojedeji at gmail.com>
>>> wrote:
>>>  On Mon, Jan 6, 2014 at 8:27 PM, Hago Dafalla <dafalla at yahoo.com> wrote:
>>>
>>> Dear Colleagues;
>>>
>>>  I suggest to establish new session in the next AFRINIC Meeting called
>>> Internet Governance session. Please  send your opinion and confirm.
>>>

>>> I think there was an IG session during the last AFRINIC meeting [1] . So
>>> yes it should continue and be part of not just the AFRINIC meetings but
>>> the
>>> IS itself; perhaps including an IG day in the Agenda (to allow for more
>>> IG
>>> sessions)
>>>
>>> Cheers!
>>> 1.
>>> http://meeting.afrinic.net/afrinic-19/en/agenda/programmex#day-3-25th-nov
>>>
>>>      Thanks
>>>
>>> Hago Dafalla
>>>  Sudan
>>>

>>>   On Friday, 20 December 2013, 21:36, Anne-Rachel Inné <
>>> annerachel at gmail.com> wrote:
>>>   Dear all,
>>>
>>> The Internet Society (ISOC) is coordinating the process leading to
>>> appointments to represent the Internet technical community in two of the
>>> *“Brazil
>>> Planning Committees”* and in the *“1net Steering Committee”*.
>>>
>>> The “Brazil Planning Committees” will contribute to the preparation of a
>>> *"Global
>>> Multistakeholder Meeting on the Future of Internet Governance"* that will
>>> be held on 23 and 24 April 2014, in Sao Paolo, Brazil.
>>>  The two major tasks of “1net Steering Committee” will be (1) to liaise
>>> with stakeholder communities and encourage participation and submission
>>> of
>>> productive ideas with respect to Internet governance issues; and (2) to
>>> steer, manage, and otherwise lead the activities of the 1net platform
>>> towards a productive understanding and possibly consensus with respect to
>>> these issues.
>>> Individuals interested in being suggested by the NomCom set up for this
>>> purpose are invited to read more about the process and the timeline here:
>>> http://www.internetsociety.org/sites/default/files/Call1netBR-ForPublication.pdf
>>>

>>> The deadline for submitting expressions of interest is *10 January 2014*.
>>>
>>> Any questions or requests for additional information can be sent to:
>>> information.itcg at gmail.com.
>>>
>>> *Useful links*:
>>> 1net: http://1net.org
>>> ISOC IG activities:
>>> http://www.internetsociety.org/what-we-do/internet-issues/internet-governance
>>>

>>> Thank you and best regards,
>>> --
>>> Constance Bommelaer
>>> Senior Director, Global Policy Partnerships
>>> The Internet Society
>>> www.isoc.org

>>> --
>>>

>>> *Seun Ojedeji,Federal University Oye-Ekitiweb:
>>> http://www.fuoye.edu.ng <http://www.fuoye.edu.ng/> Mobile:
>>> +2348035233535**alt
>>> email: <http://goog_1872880453/>seun.ojedeji at fuoye.edu.ng
>>> <seun.ojedeji at fuoye.edu.ng>*