[AfrICANN-discuss] Declaration of the joint meeting of African community (Buenos Aires)

Ben Fuller abutiben at gmail.com
Sun Nov 17 16:57:07 SAST 2013

My first response to this statement was "your kidding, aren't you?" Then I
realised that this is not 1 April.

Now I understand why in Durban both the ICANN VP of Stakeholder Engagement
for Africa as well as the person charing this same meeting walked out while
the AFRILAO-AfrICANN meeting was still going on. As long as inane and vapid
statements such as this are put out by this group, then people will not pay
any attention whatsoever.

Look, ICANN as well as many other organisations, is involved in major
debates about Internet governance. (I am not going to get into the details
about this debate because the other day Pierre posted a link to a very good
article about them) The results of these discussions may have major impacts
on ICANN and its constituents -- including the people on this list. ICANN
has started a number of useful and interesting initiatives to promote the
Multi Stakeholder Model in Internet governance. This is a model with
particular relevance to Africa, because our continent will see major
Internet growth in the next 10 to 15 years. We should be discussing the
ways in which we as Africans can promote Internet growth and the ICANN led
Multi Stakeholder Model first within our respective communities, second
within our countries and third across the continent.

Statements such as the "extensively debated" comments about meeting
strategy do nothing to promote the development of our continent. Perhaps
there is a reason why people interested in African Internet development
either do not attend, or walk out of the meetings. By the way, can someone
point me to the "extensive debate" that took place. Unless there is a bug
in the list mailer, I neither saw nor participated in the debate. Perhaps
there is an alternative list? How does one subscribe if the alternative
list exists?

When are we getting serious about Internet development and governance?

Ben

2013/11/17 Aziz Hilali <hilaliaziz at yahoo.fr>

> Français ci-dessous
> ------------------------
> Dear all,
>
> Following the email of November 9 on the AFRALO / AfrICANN joint meeting
> to be held on "the news strategy of ICANN meetings", we are pleased to send
> you the draft statement (French and English)of  the joint AFRALO–AfrICANN
> meeting due to take place in BA on Wednesday, 20 November (14:00 – 15:30)
> in the Golden Horn Room.
>
> Would you please provide your comments on this draft, to allow us to
> include them before printing the final version and then distribute it to
> the participants in the meeting for discussion, modification if any and
> adoption.
>
> ---------------------------------------
> Chers tous,
>
> Suite à notre email du 9 Novembre sur la réunion conjointe AFRALO/AfrICANN
> qui se tiendrasur le thème "la stratégie des nouvelles deréunions de
> l'ICANN", nous avons le plaisir de vous faire parvenirle projet de
> déclaration(français et anglais) de la réunioncon jointe AFRALO-AfrICANN
> qui aura lieu à BA, le mercredi 20 Novembre(14h00-15h30) dans la salle
> Golden Horn Room.
>
> Je vous prie de donner vos remarques sur ce projet  pour que l’on puisse
> les inclure avant d’imprimer la version finale et ensuite la distribuer aux
> participants à la réunion pour discussion, modification s’il y a lieu et
> adoption.
>

> Best Regards
> ============================
> Aziz Hilali