[AfrICANN-discuss] Update on NGPC Progress on GAC Advice on New gTLDs

Dr Yassin Mshana ymshana2003 at gmail.com
Wed May 29 02:18:04 SAST 2013

Hello Glen,

Thank you for the update on this. I was expecting a description of how the
Applicants responded to the Advice by GAC and the actually, why the Advice
came out at this stage of the Process by ICANN? I seem to have missed
something there..?

Kind regards

Yassin

On 28 May 2013 09:26, Glen de Saint Géry <Glen at icann.org> wrote:

> ** **
>
> https://www.icann.org/en/news/announcements/announcement-22may13-en.htm***
> *
> Update on NGPC Progress on GAC Advice on New gTLDs****
>
> 22 May 2013****
>
> The ICANN Board New gTLD Program Committee (NGPC) held a discussion in
> Amsterdam on 18 May 2013 regarding how and when it could address the
> Beijing GAC advice. The NGPC structured the discussion around the attached GAC
> Advice Framework<http://newgtlds.icann.org/en/applicants/gac-advice-framework-21may13-en.pdf>[PDF, 52 KB]. The Framework organizes the individual advice items into
> discrete groupings to allow the NGPC to prioritize its work. The NGPC's
> goal is to carefully consider GAC advice and community input and to make
> decisions that will allow the greatest number of new gTLD applications to
> move forward as soon as possible.****
>
> As mentioned in our last update<https://www.icann.org/en/news/announcements/announcement-2-10may13-en.htm>,
> the NGPC is developing a scorecard for the advice, marking items as a "1A,"
> "1B" and "2." In Amsterdam, the NGPC made progress on identifying the
> potential "1As," i.e., those items for which the NGPC has a tentative
> position that appears to be consistent with the GAC's advice. Final scoring
> of the items will not be possible until the applicant responses to the GAC
> Advice are summarized and reviewed. The NGPC anticipates that it will
> discuss these items further during its next meeting tentatively scheduled
> for early June.****
>
> The NGPC also began discussing the GAC Advice on Safeguards. Currently
> there is an open Public Comment Forum<https://www.icann.org/en/news/public-comment/gac-safeguard-advice-23apr13-en.htm>seeking input on how the NGPC should address the GAC's Safeguard Advice.
> The Public Comment Forum closes on 4 June 2013. As shown in the attached,
> the NGPC is evaluating the safeguard advice grouped as follows:****
>
>    - Safeguard Advice Applicable to all strings****
>    - Category 1 Safeguard Advice: Consumer Protection, Sensitive Strings,
>    and Regulated Markets****
>    - Category 2 Safeguard Advice: Restricted Registration Policies
>    (Restricted Access and Exclusive Access)****
>
> Over the next few weeks, the NGPC will hold a series of calls to discuss
> applicant responses to the GAC advice, the Safeguard advice and related
> public comment, and other matters including responding to the GAC's advice
> on singular and plural strings, its questions in Annex 2, and its requests
> for briefing papers.****
>
> The New gTLD evaluation and objection processes remains on track while the
> NGPC continues its deliberations. As mentioned above, the NGPC is
> prioritizing its work in order to allow the greatest number of applications
> to move forward as soon as possible. We will continue to provide updates on
> the NGPC's progress in responding to the GAC Beijing advice.****

> [...]

*Independent Consultant*
c/o DFID-Sierra Leone, 5 Off Spur Road, Wilberforce, Freetown,SIERRA LEONE
Skype: yassinmshana1, Mobile:+23276926697, Fax: (+232) 22235769
*Do You really NEED TO PRINT THIS?*
 * "The illiterates of the 21st century are not those who cannot read or*
* write** but those who cannot learn, relearn and unlearn" Alvin Toffler*