[AfrICANN-discuss] SARP decision on our .UMMAH application

Dr Eberhard W Lisse el at lisse.na
Tue Mar 19 13:41:26 SAST 2013

But you WERE then aware of the risks?

Sent from my BlackBerry

-----Original Message-----
From: "Katim S. Touray" <kaamt at yahoo.com>
Date: Tue, 19 Mar 2013 03:12:23 
To: Dr Eberhard W Lisse<el at lisse.na>; AfrICANN list<africann at afrinic.net>
Reply-To: "Katim S. Touray" <kaamt at yahoo.com>
Subject: Re: [AfrICANN-discuss] SARP decision on our .UMMAH application

Hi Dr.,
I'm sorry for my late reply to your e-mail, but thanks for asking your question.
Basically, all support applicants were evaluated using a scoring system published in the Financial Assistance Handbook (http://newgtlds.icann.org/en/applicants/candidate-support/financial-assistance-handbook-11jan12-en.pdf). According to the letter from ICANN, the SARP determined that our application did not meet one of three criteria, i.e. the public interest criterion (which covers such issues as serving an underserved language, non-profit ventures, as well as local entrepreneur efforts).
We evaluated our application against all three criteria, and concluded that we had a reasonable chance of getting support because we, in our judgement, met the minimum requirements for support. The SARP clearly disagreed with your position. Despite this I, through the official channels, submitted our request for reconsideration a few days to ICANN, and we are waiting for our request to be taken through the required process before they can provide us their verdict. I hope you now get the picture.
Many thanks to all of you for your support, and best wishes!

 From: Dr Eberhard W Lisse <el at lisse.na>
To: Katim S. Touray <kaamt at yahoo.com>; AfrICANN list <africann at afrinic.net> 
Cc: "africann at afrinic.net" <africann at afrinic.net> 
Sent: Friday, March 15, 2013 4:05 AM
Subject: Re: [AfrICANN-discuss] SARP decision on our .UMMAH application

Your application did not meet the criteria, apparently.

Would you be willing to give is more details as to why this is so?

Were you aware of the rules, risking exclusion if failing to meet criteria? If not why not?

greetings, el


Sent from Dr. Lisse's iPhone 5

On Mar 15, 2013, at 0:47, "Katim S. Touray" <kaamt at yahoo.com> wrote:

Dear all,
>Greetings! I hope you all had safe and pleasant trips home from the ICANN meetings in Addis. It was great meeting all of you, and have very uplifting discussions.
>Speaking of ICANN, I am writing to inform you that unfortunately, the ICANN Support Application Review Panel (SARP) has declined our application for financial support for our .UMMAH gTLD application, and further, our application is being dropped from the gTLD application process (http://newgtlds.icann.org/en/applicants/candidate-support/s arp-results-12mar13-en.pdf). As you can imagine, this is quite shocking news, given especially that as things are, we would not even be allowed to seek funding from elsewhere. Despite this, I am exploring the possibility of our being allowed to seek funding from elsewhere. It's not easy, and will never be!
>That's about it for now. Have a great weekend, and best wishes!
>AfrICANN mailing list
>AfrICANN at afrinic.net
-------------- next part --------------
An HTML attachment was scrubbed...
URL: https://lists.afrinic.net/pipermail/africann/attachments/20130319/1cc90f38/attachment-0001.htm

More information about the AfrICANN mailing list