[AfrICANN-discuss] The Independent Objector weighs in on .africa

Y Mshana2003 ymshana2003 at gmail.com
Thu Mar 14 14:05:35 SAST 2013

BTW
What happened at the Addis meeting?
Can we have a critical analysis which, I believe strategic issues such as this would have been discussed on face-to-face basis ..?

'Objections' is not a small matter to be overshadowed by other issues. I hope to read about this in Proceedings of the Addis - Africa Strategy Meeting ...from the Secretariat.

Kind regards
Yassin

From Yassin . Sent from samsung mobile. On O2.

McTim <dogwallah at gmail.com> wrote:

http://www.independent-objector-newgtlds.org/english-version/the-independent-objector-s-comments-on-controversial-applications/africa-general-comment/

Some interesting bits:

"Given that the African Union Commission, representing the large
majority of African States, has issued an early warning, it seems
unlikely that the applicant DotConnectAfrica Trust will meet
requirements to pass the Geographic Names Panel review."
.
.
".As for his possibility to object on the community ground and only if
both applications pass the review of the Geographic Names Panel and
can’t reach an agreement, the IO was of the opinion that an objection
against the application for a new gTLD string “.Africa” submitted by
DotConnectAfrica Trust could be warranted."

and not surprisingly:

"IMPORTANT GENERAL REMARK: The applicant DotConnectAfrica Trust deemed
it useful to put into doubt my impartiality and independence. I wish
to make clear that my inclination not to lodge an objection to their
application is by no means the result of what can be seen as an
attempt to intimidate me."

It's a good read, and the DCA and UniForum replies to his initial
assessment are included at the bottom.

--
Cheers,

McTim